15 Funny Quotes To Share For Women's History Month
Women's history is in the spotlight this month, and while March is certainly a time for activism it is also an opportunity to celebrate trailblazing women of all fields — including comedy. Laughter is a powerful thing, and there are some very funny quotes perfect for Women's History Month that deserve a little attention across social media. Hey, considering it's the 21st century and we are somehow still fighting for true gender equality (and, y'know, equality of pretty much every single kind), cracking a few jokes and looking at women's issues through a humorous lens might actually be quite helpful.
Women have fought for centuries to get out of the home and be accepted into the workforce, tackling many a boys' club, from the board room to the world of stand-up. It doesn't matter if you're giving a presentation or telling a joke; women have constantly faced discrimination and found themselves needing to squash stereotypes every step of the way (on top of everything else they were doing, of course).
The blanket statements we still find ourselves facing — like, for example, the tired, incorrect argument that "women aren't funny" — are incredibly hard to break, but that just means we've kept pushing harder. Women of great wit such as Jane Austen and Dorothy Parker paved the way for a host of very funny women today, and hopefully soon there will be more than just one woman rocking the late night TV hosting scene. In honor of Women's History Month let's take a moment to look at some very funny statements from some very funny ladies.
Check out the “Feminism” stream in the Bustle App throughout the month of March for more inspiring ways to celebrate Women's History Month.
1. “Stop telling girls they can be anything they want when they grow up. I think it’s a mistake. Not because they can’t, but because it would have never occurred to them that they couldn’t.”
2. “America is still a great country and it is still worth fighting for. It has Shonda Rhimes shows and peanut butter and Beyoncé and Lin-Manuel Miranda rap-weeping at awards shows, and it has the beautiful U.S. Constitution, which we should probably start teaching in schools. We still get to take pride in the peaceful transfer of power. And if Ms. Rodham’s not in the White House, that’s OK — one of those girls is going to be. We still have millions of Nasty Women who aren’t going away, and as long as women over 25 are still allowed on television, I’ll be here, cheering them on.”
3. “If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: who cares?”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
4. "Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine."
5. "Live your life so that when you are being honored for your achievements, the people called upon to make laudatory comments can feel reasonable honest about their comments. Otherwise, in these times, all their words of phrase might be perceived as alternative facts, or worst yet, fake news."
6. “I just don't want to be hampered by my own limitations.”
7. “Even when someone gets to looking like she should be so proud of herself, instead she’s like, ‘I could be another three pounds less; I could be a little taller and have bigger lips.’ Where does it end? You just have to say, ‘It’s pretty damn good. I am right here at the moment and I’m OK with it. I’ve got other things to think about.’”
8. “To me, there is no greater act of courage than being the one who kisses first.”
9. "In youth, it was a way I had, To do my best to please. And change, with every passing lad To suit his theories. But now I know the things I know And do the things I do, And if you do not like me so, To hell, my love, with you."
— Dorothy Parker, The Complete Poems of Dorothy Parker
10. “Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.”
11. “Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway.”
12. "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."
13. "I urge you all today, especially today during these times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into leather."
14." Nicknames to celebrate the vagina: Lady garden. Hoo hoo. Hee hee. Haha. Department of the interior. She who shall not be named. The place where I keep my keys. The chamber of secrets. The envelope, please. FernGully. The canyon of heroes. The ArK of the Covenant. The velour Bouncy Castle. Mrs. Bojangles. The Hurt Locker. Tavern on the Green. Sam’s Club."
15. "Saying 'yes' doesn’t mean I don’t know how to say no, and saying 'please' doesn’t mean I am waiting for permission."
― Amy Poehler, Yes Please