21 Harry Potter Quotes For Your Protest Signs
Saturdays and Sundays have taken on a whole new meaning in the weeks since Inauguration Day. It's the weekend, sure, but more importantly, it's two whole days to fight the Trump administration. For those of us privileged enough to have the weekends off, it's a time to make calls, to volunteer, and of course, to protest. (As Friends of the Pod already know, "protest is the new brunch.") If you need a bit of inspiration for your protest signs this weekend, use one of these Harry Potter quotes to give voice to your criticism.
Harry Potter taught an entire generation of young readers the power of civil disobedience and organized resistance. (Two words: Dumbledore's Army.) Harry, Ron, Neville, Luna, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, Dumbledore, Ginny, Fred and George, McGonagall, and Hermione (especially Hermione) knew that they had the power to defeat Voldemort if they worked together — but they also knew it wouldn't be easy. So, don't let your activism begin and end at the protest. If you're able to do so, there are hundreds of ways to fight the Trump administration every single day of the week. But this weekend, use Harry Potter as inspiration to take down He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named at your local protest.
1. "If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
— Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2. "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”
— Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
4. “Time is short, and unless the few of us who know the truth stand united, there is no hope for any of us."
5. “Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!”
6. “The truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”
— J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
7. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
8. "It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it."
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
9. "Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
10. "The thing about growing up with Fred and George is that you sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve."
– Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
11. "The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters."
–Sirius Black, Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix
12. "We are all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving."
– Kingsley Shacklebolt, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
13. "Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting."
— J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
14. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
—Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
15. "Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have."
– Hermione Granger, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
16. "Not my daughter, you bitch!"
— Molly Weasley, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
17. "Time will not slow down when something unpleasant lies ahead."
— J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
18. "We’re all going to keep fighting, Harry. You know that?"
— Neville Longbottom, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
19. "Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth."
20. “We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on.”
21. "We will fight! We’ll have to, to reach the snake! But let’s not lose sight now of what we’re supposed to be d-doing! We’re the only ones who can end it!"
— Hermione Granger, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows