Education is on everyone's mind lately, particularly because Betsy DeVos' nomination for Secretary of Education, at which people are, well, horrified. We're all looking for ways to voice our frustration, many of us starting with powerful quotes about education to share on Facebook. Outrage has spread over a president who has never held office, and now a possible Secretary of Education who has never held public office or worked in the public school system. The direction public schooling in particular could take is disheartening, particularly since Michelle Obama is an advocate for education and spent her time in the White House working so diligently for something every human being deserves.
If this last election season has taught us anything, it's that things don't always go the way we expect. And when they don't, we keep making sure our voices are heard. We did it after Trump was elected, we've continued to do it since Trump's inauguration, and we'll do it again if DeVos makes it to office. If you're passionate about the right to education for all Americans regardless of race and financial status, there are several ways to protest Betsy Devos as Secretary of Education, stand up for public schooling, and continue the fight for education that Obama so fervently pursued — along with these people, whose words ring truer now more than ever.
2. "Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow." -Anthony J. D'Angelo
4. "Education is not preparation for life. Education is life itself." -John Dewey
6. "Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." -Malcolm X
8. “An education should seek to bring its subjects to the perfection of their moral, intellectual, and physical nature in order that they may be of the greatest possible use to themselves and others.” -Emma Hart Willard
10. "He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
12. "Education breeds confidence. Confidence breeds hope. Hope breeds peace." -Confucius
13. "A state that does not educate and train women is like a man who only trains his right arm." -Jostein Gaarder
15. "Every renaissance comes to the world with a cry, the cry of the human spirit to be free" -Anne Sullivan
17. "The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one." -Malcolm Forbes
19. "Anything that you learn becomes your wealth, a wealth that cannot be taken away from you; whether you learn it in a building called school or in the school of life. To learn something new is a timeless pleasure and a valuable treasure." -C. Joybell C.
21. "Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army." -Edward Everett
23. "Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom." -George Washington Carver
25. "The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." -B.B. King
27. "That is a good book it seems to me, which is opened with expectation and closed with profit." -Louisa May Alcott
28. “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” -Frederick Douglass