The music industry was faced with some sad news back in November when it was reported that 21-year-old rapper Lil Peep died during a tour stop in Tucson, AZ. At the time, an official cause of death for the rapper hadn't been confirmed, though police did tell CNN that there was evidence he may have died from an overdose. Now, just weeks later, TMZ obtained a official toxicology report, which reveals that Lil Peep died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl and Xanax.
According to TMZ, the Pima County Medical Examiner in Tucson conducted a toxicology test and found that the rapper's death was a result of "combined toxic effects of fentanyl and alprazolam." TMZ looked at the full report, which reportedly reveals that, in addition to fentanyl and Xanax, the rapper also had "a ton" of other drugs in his system, testing positive for marijuana, cocaine, Tramadol, and opiates like Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, Oxycodone, and Oxymorphone. The medical examiner’s office has reportedly ruled that Lil Peep's overdose was accidental.
Born Gustav Åhr, Lil Peep had been on tour at the time of his death, performing music from his debut album, Come Over When You're Sober (Part One). He was scheduled to perform in Tucson on the night of Nov. 15 when he was found unresponsive on his tour bus. Perez Hilton reported back in November that one of Peep's managers told police that the rapper decided to take a nap before the show. She apparently went to check on him, and though she found that he was breathing normally, she decided to let him continue to sleep after being unable to wake him. It wasn't until later that night that a second manager checked on the rapper, reportedly finding him unresponsive and making the move to administer CPR.
Peep's tragic and unexpected death has opened up a conversation about mental health and wellness in the music industry. Before the reports of his death began to circulate, the rapper was very active on Instagram, with one of his final posts being a photo of himself performing along with the cryptic caption, "When I die You'll love me." Another one posted after that appears to show the 21-year-old taking pills.
In the past, Peep had been very open about his apparent struggles with drug addiction and depression. Back in February, Peep tweeted, "I am a depressed drug addict and I'm nearing my breaking point. Everything I love is disappearing." The day before his death, he posted a very short Instagram video of himself smoking with someone from his team, along with a lengthy caption that read,
"I just wana be everybody's everything I want too much from people but then I don't want anything from them at the same time u feel me I don't let people help me but I need help but not when I have my pills but that's temporary one day maybe I won't die young and I'll be happy? What is happy I always have happiness for like 10 seconds and then it's gone. I'm getting so tired of this."
Though his social media posts before his death do appear to be a little haunting, Peep's family and team insisted even before the M.E. ruled his death an accident that the emerging young rapper was in a good place. His older brother Karl Åher (who goes by Oskar) told PEOPLE last month that it was possible that the pill Peep took was laced. He explained,
"We have heard there was some sort of substance he did not expect to be involved in the substance he was taking. He thought he could take what he did, but he had been given something and he didn’t realize what it was."
The 23-year-old continued, "It was an accident, it really was an accident. He was super happy with where he was in life."
Sarah Stennett, the CEO of First Access Entertainment, which has worked with Peep in the past, told Bustle last month,
"I am shocked and heartbroken. I do not believe Peep wanted to die, this is so tragic. He had big goals and dreams for the future which he had shared with me, his team, his family and his friends. He was highly intelligent, hugely creative, massively charismatic, gentle and charming. He had huge ambition and his career was flourishing. I have spoken to his mother and she asked me to convey that she is very, very proud of him and everything he was able to achieve in his short life. She is truly grateful to the fans and the people who have supported and loved him."
Even with more details emerging about his death, the news of Lil Peep's death at such a young age is still pretty heartbreaking. Drug use in the music industry has been a heavily overlooked topic for way too long now, and with Peep's tragic passing, it's time people start paying more attention.