On Thursday, the Del Rey Star Wars Twitter account teased the Friday reveal of a long-awaited Star Wars book. Today, the Star Wars anthology #OperationBlueMilk was revealed to be Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, which contains "40 stories celebrating 40 years of" the beloved sci-fi franchise. Those stories will shine a spotlight on the background characters of the first Star Wars film, "from X-wing pilots who helped Luke destroy the Death Star to the stormtroopers who never quite could find the droids they were looking for."
#OperationBlueMilk isn't the first Star Wars anthology to hit bookstores. The late 1990s gave birth to a number of short-story collections set around the original trilogy, including Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from the New Republic.
None of the Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View authors will receive any compensation for the book. Their earnings will be donated to First Book, a non-profit organization that helps put books in the homes, libraries, and schools of children in need. In addition, #OperationBlueMilk publisher Penguin Random House has given $100,000 to the bookish charity, and Disney/Lucasfilm donated $1 million in books.
So far only 28 of the writers working on Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View have been revealed. Many of them have written Star Wars books and stories before, but most are well-known mainstream authors who are new to the franchise.
Here are the Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View authors we know so far:
- Ben Acker & Ben Blacker (Star Wars: Join the Resistance No. 1)
- Renee Ahdieh (The Wrath and the Dawn)
- Tom Angleberger (Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!)
- Meg Cabot (The Princess Diaries)
- Rae Carson (Walk on Earth a Stranger)
- Adam Christopher (Empire State)
- Zoraida Cordova (Labyrinth Lost)
- Delilah S. Dawson (Star Wars: The Perfect Weapon)
- Paul Dini (Gotham City Sirens)
- Alexander Freed (Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company)
- Jason Fry (The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure)
- Christie Golden (Star Wars: Dark Disciple)
- EK Johnston & Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka)
- Paul Kemp (Star Wars: Lords of the Sith)
- Mur Lafferty (The Shambling Guide to New York City)
- Ken Liu (The Grace of Kings)
- Griffin McElroy (Polygon)
- John Jackson Miller (Star Wars: A New Dawn)
- Nnedi Okorafor (Binti)
- Daniel José Older (Shadowshaper)
- Mallory Ortberg (Texts from Jane Eyre)
- Madeleine Roux (Asylum)
- Gary D. Schmidt (Oribiting Jupiter)
- Cavan Scott (Adventures in Wild Space: The Cold)
- Sabaa Tahir (An Ember in the Ashes)
- Glen Weldon (The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture)
- Chuck Wendig (Star Wars: Aftermath)
- Gary Whitta (Abomination)
Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View is available for pre-order now. The Star Wars anthology codenamed #OperationBlueMilk comes to a galaxy near you in October.