In an escalation between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, North Korean media has released video footage and photos of an American aircraft carrier and warplanes being blown up.
After Trump tweeted on Saturday that North Korea "won't be around much longer," North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said that Trump has made a declaration of war and that North Korea has the right to shoot down U.S. planes.
"In light of the declaration of war by Trump, all options will be on the operating table of the Supreme leadership of DPRK," Ri said, according to his English translator.
Ri also told reporters in New York that "the whole world should clearly remember it was the U.S. who first declared war on our country."
Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country.
The video was shown on the North Korean state-propaganda website DPRK Today on Sunday and begins with doctored footage of Trump standing at a podium in front of a crowd of service members, speaking at the 70th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force at Joint Base Andrews, according to South Korea's Yonhap news; Trump is described as a "mad man."
An American bomber and jet are then struck down by two missiles, followed by another missile that hits the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier. The video comes one day after U.S. Air Force B-1B bombers and F-15C Eagle fighter jets flew over the waters east of North Korea on Saturday, which Reuters described as in "a show of force the Pentagon said showed the range of military options available to Trump."
The video then includes the caption "Should F-35, B-1B and the Carl Vinson lead the U.S. attack, they will head to the grave in that order," according to Yonhap. The American flag is then burned.
North Korea has reportedly threatened to test a hydrogen bomb (a weapon more powerful than an atomic bomb) in the Pacific Ocean. On Friday at general assembly of the United Nations, the North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho said that a rocket attack on the U.S. as "inevitable." He also called Trump "a mentally deranged person full of megalomania" who is holding "the nuclear button."
North Korea has argued that the only reason the country needs to nuclear weapons is to counter the military efforts of the U.S. Earlier this month, North Korea conducted its sixth nuclear test and launched four missiles toward the U.S. territory of Guam. After being saddled with sanctions from the U.N., North Korea responded by launching a ballistic missile over Japan, according to CNN.