Olivia Wilde's Activist & Feminist Quotes & Moments Show She's A Total Badass
I'm not quite sure of the origin of the name "Olivia," but I am sure it must be synonymous with the word "badass" in some language. Why do I say that? Well, because it's the name of activist and feminist Olivia Wilde. If you didn't know, Wilde posted on Instagram that she's going to the Women's March on Washington in D.C., but this isn't her first foray into raising awareness for social issues. No, the actor has proven time and again that she is both bold and passionate about causes she cares about.
In her Instagram caption announcing her attendance at the Women's March she quoted Coretta Scott King, saying, "Women, if the soul of the nation is to be saved, I believe that you must become its soul." She went on to say, "See you at the march on Jan 21st in DC. All are welcome!"
While Wilde used a gorgeous and fitting quote by the incomparable Scott King, she has some pretty great quotes on activism and feminism all on her own. The actor is so much more than just her time on screen and her dedication to real life issues proves it.
1. When She Encouraged Women To Take Self-Defense Classes
2. When She Was At Her "Happiest" Doing Charitable Work
In a 2013 Interview with Marie Claire, the publication pointed out that Wilde cofounded a free high school in Haiti called Academy for Peace and Justice and that she also showed off her activism on a PBS documentary, Half the Sky. Wilde added of her other charitable activities,
3. When She Gave Those Feeling Down About The Political Climate A Little Push
And did so in a short and sweet yet galvanizing way.
4. When She Channeled Her Disappointment Into Action
As they say: Don't talk about it. Be about it.
5. When She Dressed Her Daughter To Impress
A true baby boss.
6. When She Talked Philanthropy
Urbanette asked Wilde in an interview how she got involved with philanthropy and she responded,
7. When She Shared This Sweet Inspirational Quote
Because self-love is vital.
8. When She Preached Self-Care
She told Healthy Living Magazine this when asked for her "tips/advice" to their readers:
9. When She Brought Her Daughter To Vote For The First Female Major Party Presidential Nominee
In her caption she wrote, "Baby girl's first election. It's a cool time to be alive. #tearsofjoy"
10. When She Discussed The Importance Of Abortion Discourse, No Matter How Impossible Seeming Or Uncomfortable
In an interview with Cosmo, Wilde explained that she'd say this to "young women" who have "readily available" access to abortions, who want to help those who don't:
11. When She Supported Healthy Pregnancies For Every Woman
"Join me today on #BumpDay to ask Congress to pass the #ReachAct so all moms have healthy pregnancies. Link in bio. @savethechildren #bumpbumpbumpitupppp," she explained in her caption.
12. When She Spoke Out Against The Stifling Nature Of Labels
In an interview with Advocate, Wilde discussed bisexuality in media, and said,
13. When She Took A Breastfeeding Photo For Glamour And Supported Gisele Bündchen For Taking Hers
She told The Daily Beast of the model's picture of her breastfeeding her daughter, "That is her life. Anyone who would choose to criticize that moment doesn’t understand that that’s her job. I thought it was wonderful."
It's clear that Wilde cares so much about women and the world and it's something to truly admire.