Valentine's Day is often referred to as "Single's Awareness Day," but you know what, I'm not buying it. As these 13 Valentine's Day quotes for friends make quite clear, February 14th doesn't solely have to do with romantic partners. Friends deserve to be appreciated on Valentine's Day too. After all, boyfriends and girlfriends come and go, but true friends are forever. (And really, who is it that helps you get over those heartbreaks? Exactly.).
Even if you are in a relationship this Valentine's Day, that shouldn't limit you to only letting your significant other know how much you love him or her. Tell everyone who's important to you, including your best friends and closest companions. There are more kinds of love than just romantic love, and Valentine's Day can celebrate all types! In fact, as some of these quotes imply, friendly love might be much more rare than romantic love.
Take a scroll through these 13 thoughtful quotes and be sure to send some of them out to your friends. Whether it's in a text message, a Valentine's Day card, or on social media, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you're letting your besties know just how special they are to you.
1. "Rare as is true love, true friendship is rarer." — Jean de La Fontaine
2. "There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship." — Thomas Aquinas
3. "A friend is what the heart needs all the time." — Henry Van Dyke
4. "The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it." — Hubert H. Humphrey
5. "A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world." — Leo Buscaglia
6. "Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." — Muhammad Ali
7. "Friends are the siblings God never gave us." — Mencius
8. "Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends." — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
9. "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." — Walter Winchell
10. "A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself." — Jim Morrison
11. "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." — Albert Camus
12. "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light." — Helen Keller
13. "My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me." — Henry Ford