7 Katniss 'Mockingjay, Part 2' Quotes That Prove She's The Strongest Action Hero Around
When I saw The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 last week, I was most intrigued by how much of the movie stayed true to Suzanne Collins' novel. Except for a handful of minor differences, the new movie actually kept the vast majority of the Mockingjay book's second half intact, including the dialogue. Many of the quotes from Mockingjay, Part 2 were taken right from the novel, and while some were clearly invented just for the screen, it was nice to see that so much of the film used its source material as direct inspiration — especially when it came to its lead character. Plenty of Katniss' quotes in Mockingjay, Part 2 came straight from the book, and the ones that weren't sound so in-character that even the biggest Hunger Games fans might not spot the difference.
And, because, after all, it is Katniss we're talking about, many of her quotes were the best lines of dialogue in the entire film. Sure, Peeta, Gale and the rest all had some great ones, but really, it's Katniss' Mockingjay, Part 2 quotes that are the most memorable, as all of them go to show just how strong and incredible a character she is. Below, seven of her best quotes from the new film:
1. "We All Have One Enemy, And That's President Snow! He Corrupts Everyone And Everything! He Turns The Best Of Us Against Each Other... Stop Killing For Him! Tonight, Turn Your Weapons To The Capitol! Turn Your Weapons To Snow!"
Katniss' message to the rebels was a powerful one, and it worked in making them slightly more united against their common enemy.
2. "We Keep Each Other Alive. That's What We Do."
When she told Peeta this, it reminded viewers that despite everything they'd gone through, the two of them would still always be there for each other, no matter what. There's a reason they end up together — they're the only ones who truly understand the pain and suffering they've experienced.
3. "We Can Take Down The Capitol."
By saying this so resolutely, Katniss made it clear that she was not messing around. As if we ever doubted her!
4. "I Am."
When an armed rebel didn't like Katniss calling him one of Snow's workers and said, "I'm not a slave," Katniss simply replied, "I am." Haunting, but realistic.
5. "I Am Done Being A Piece In His Game."
Yet just because Katniss knew what she was under Snow didn't mean that she was OK with it defining her future. She took matters into her own hands, and led others to do the same.
6. "Nothing Good Is Safe While Snow's Alive. I Can't Make Another Speech About It... Snow Has To Pay For What He's Done."
Katniss realized that rhetoric, however well-intentioned, was not enough; she needed to truly fight, and so did everyone around her, if they wanted to take Snow out of power and make him pay for all the trauma he'd caused.
7. "Did You Have A Nightmare? I Have Nightmares Too. Someday I'll Explain It To You. Why They Came. Why They Won't Ever Go Sway. But I'll Tell You How I Survive It. I Make A List In My Head. Of All The Good Things I've Seen Someone Do. Every Little Thing I Could Remember. It's Like A Game, I Do It Over And Over. Gets A Little Tedious After All These Years, But There Are Much Worse Games To Play."
The last lines in the movie, Katniss' words to her infant are chilling, and remind the viewer that no matter how much time has passed since the Games, Katniss (and Peeta) won't ever be the same. They're always going to be haunted, and while they're strong enough to make it through, they're forever left with the remnants of the destruction and terror they experienced all those years earlier.
Leave it to Katniss (and Jennifer Lawrence) to have some of the best and most powerful quotes from Mockingjay.
Images: Giphy (7); Lionsgate