18 'TRL' Throwback Photos That Could Only Have Been Taken During That Era
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was pop music ringing in your mind on a TV set immediately after school. It's been forever since MTV's TRL ruled your life, just as it's been forever since MTV did anything tangential related to music, and that must bum you out tremendously. Well, luckily, you've come to as safe haven of nostalgia that reminds you that the TRL's Golden Era of the late '90s and early 2000s was a totally weird and hilarious time.
Why? Because it was a peak time for pop music, and, well, a weird time for pop music. The boy bands were tapering off into fleeting glory and mediocrity. Certain musical monoliths had yet to break free into their game-changing solo careers. Hats... were a thing. Hats were a big thing. Literally nobody's style made any sense whatsoever.
So, it was all utterly glorious, and we should never forget, basically. And, lucky for you, I've collected some a batch of TRL highlights that should bring you back to the good old days. For your own enjoyment, here is a fine selection of turn-of-millennium moments and sartorial mistakes from the best years of TRL.
1. This Picture Of Britney Spears Wearing A Crop Shirt And Jacket
That's a lot of commitment to showing off your navel.
2. This Picture Of The Cast Of The Sweetest Thing
Brownie points if you can remember that road trip comedy from 2002.
3. This Picture Of Kid Rock, And Kid Rock In Any Context
You guys don't understand how much it seems like Kid Rock was just a mainstay on this show. Who was requesting that?
4. This Picture Of The Osbournes Long Before Kelly Became A Fashion Critic
And Sharon became a talk show round table regular. Ozzy was still the Prince of Darkness, though.
5. This Picture Of Jennifer Lopez With Velour On Velour
Peak J. Lo, really.
6. This Picture Of Vanessa Carlton Playing A Song On Her Piano With Several Girls In Bikinis In The Background
"A Thousand Miles" is the ultimate Spring Break Anthem.
7. This Picture Of That Hot Second Jennifer Love Hewitt Had A Music Career
Which I forgot about, and you forgot about, and probably she even forgot about. These are probably more like the MTV Spring Break House but whatever.
8. This Picture Of Gwen Stefani With Some Gwen-abes
The men's underwear is proof of commitment.
9. This Picture Of Modern Late Night Television
How did this happen?
10. This Picture Of Avril Lavigne Looking The Most Punk Rawr Ever
Whoa, bringing a man's tie and some wristbands to TRL? Talk about a rebel.
11. This Picture Of Freshly Minted American Idol Kelly Clarkson
Streaky hair, halter top, flared jeans, yup, it's 2002.
12. This Picture Of Pink Rocking A Baby Ponytail
Also a leopard skin pelt that can't possibly be keeping her warm. Also a megaphone. Many things.
13. This Picture Of Mary J. Blige Wearing A Fedora With Zero Shame
When was the last time anyone could wear a fedora in earnest and have it be "cool?" Clearly this was still during that time frame.
14. This Picture Of O-Town
Seriously, one of the most ill-fated of the boy bands that came out of that era. And why couldn't anyone get a proper pair of jeans?
15. This Picture Of Beyoncé And The Other Two In Matching Blue Cowgirl Outfits
Destiny only has one child.
16. This Picture Of GOOP Queen Gwyneth Paltrow In Leather Pants
Actually they're probably pleather and $6000 and hand crafted in Tuscany and better than you.
17. This Picture Of Pre-"Dirrty" Era Xtina
I think, I don't even know, all I can say is that her hair looks like tendrils and that entire outfit is very daring.
18. This Picture Of Shakira Who Could Also Pass For "Dirrty" Era Xtina
It's all about those chunky multi colored streaks.
I repeat: glorious. You may not be able to get a TRL fix, but we'll always have the fedoras.