11 Clips From MTV’s ‘Becoming’ That’ll Make You Miss This Brilliant Early ‘00s Show
"It sounds like something you made up." My friend sent this text a few seconds after I asked if she ever watched early '00s MTV series Becoming. I was flattered by this accusation (I should be so lucky to dream up such a tremendous program!), but I was also surprised that she—a person who was waxing nostalgic about Made not two minutes ago—had never heard of the MTV show that gave kids the chance to recreate their favorite music videos. So, I did the only thing I could do in such a scenario: I flooded her inbox with YouTube links.
If you are one of the humans who never climbed aboard the Becoming boat, here is what you missed out on: Once an episode, not-famous teens were picked to star in an MTV-produced remake of a popular recording artist’s music video. With the help of the choreographers, costumers, set designers, makeup artists, directors, and production crews that were brought in by the show, the not-famous teens paid homage to their favorite singers and bands. If MTV’s FANatic and Making the Video gave birth to a television program, that television program would be Becoming.
Here are some Becoming episodes that'll make you miss this phenomenal TV show:
1. The Episode Where Two Lucky Fans Became Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey’s “Where You Are” Music Video
The fur trimmed coat!
2. The Episode Where Five Lucky Fans Became *NSYNC’s “Tearin’ Up My Heart” Music Video
The Joey Fatone goatee!
3. The Episode Where Two Lucky Fans Became P. Diddy & Usher’s “I Need A Girl Part I” Music Video
The replica Usher necklace!
4. The Episode Where Three Lucky Fans Became Blink-182’s “First Date” Music Video
The fake tattoos!
5. The Episode Where One Lucky Fan Became Britney Spears’s “Baby One More Time” Music Video
The pigtail braids!
6. The Episode Where Two Lucky Fans Became Jennifer Lopez & Ja Rule’s “I’m Real” Music Video
The pink velour tracksuit!
7. The Episode Where Five Lucky Fans Became Limp Bizkit’s “My Way” Music Video
The Wes Borland face paint!
8. The Episode Where One Lucky Fan Became Pink’s “Get This Party Started” Music Video
The bobby pinned hairdo!
9. The Episode Where One Lucky Fan Became Britney Spears’s “I’m A Slave 4 U” Music Video
The sweaty guy who smiles at the camera!
10. The Episode Where Five Lucky Fans Became O-Town’s “We Fit Together” Music Video
The HOLLYWOOD muscle tee!
11. The Episode Where One Lucky Fan Became Janet Jackson’s “Someone To Call My Lover” Music Video
The polkadot pants + pink newsboy cap!
If MTV were to reboot one show from its early aughts lineup, my vote would go to Becoming 2.0.