Depending on your lifestyle, this may prove either a deterrent or an incentive for doing your weekly grocery shop at Walmart: earlier this week, an entire Florida family unknowingly ate some LSD-laced steak, started to hallucinate and promptly had to be hospitalized. There's a family dinner you won't soon forget.
The whole family of four — including nine-month-pregnant Jessica Rosado and her 6- and 7-year-old daughters — ended up in hospital after eating the tainted steak, which had been bought at a Tampa Walmart that same day. The two girls started having hallucinations soon after their parents got to the hospital, and Rosado had to have her labor induced that same night. Everyone made it out ok, though, with Rosado eventually giving birth to a healthy baby boy.
"Initial test results received today from the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office determined the family consumed bottom round steak contaminated with LSD," said the Tampa police in a statement Friday.
Apparently, there was no way of knowing that the meat was laced with hallucinogens. "There was no indication that we know of right now that the meat tasted funny,' said Tampa police chief Jane Castor.
"It was the physical symptoms they had, which included hallucinations, dizziness, rapid heart rate and difficulty breathing.The family has no idea where this may have come from and there's no indication of any involvement on the part of the family," she added.
It's still unclear how the steak became acid-laced in the first place, and the shopping conglomerate isn't offering any answers. A Walmart spokesperson has said they are "deeply disturbed about this situation" and "taking it very seriously," but the whole situation is staying pretty shady.
"We have been in touch with our supplier and they tell us they have no reports of similar incidents. We are also reviewing our store's surveillance video to see if we can find any information that might assist in the investigation. At this point, we're not aware of any suspicious activity," Walmart said in a statement.
"We know our customers expect safe, quality food and we require our suppliers to meet the highest of food safety standards. It's unclear where and how the food was tampered with or if the tampering occurred after purchase. However, out of an abundance of caution, we have pulled the remaining product from the store," the statement added.
Is it possible some concerned (and misguided) Walmart-worker was just trying to cure some chronic anxiety?