19 of the Most Romantic 'Paper Town' Quotes We Need to See in John Green Adaptation
Buzz has already started surrounding John Green's latest YA-to-bigscreen adaptation, Paper Towns, after the author and cast began posting photos from set earlier this month. The follow up to The Fault in Our Stars is set to be released next spring, giving fans plenty of time to speculate over what the film iteration will entail. John Green has gone on record saying the screenplay is quite different than the book. This is good and bad news — those diehard fans of the novel will likely not see every single scene translated to the new medium, but it will also offer those tuning into the story for the first time a tight and concise story to enjoy.
So while we know the narrative will be tweaked on some level, there are certain passages from the beloved book we'd be heartbroken over if not included in the film. Green's style of writing teen dialogue is unique, and we hope to see as much as possible adapted on screen. So, here are 19 passages from Paper Towns we hope to see in 2015's film adaptation.
1. “When did we see each other face-to-face? Not until you saw into my cracks and I saw into yours. Before that, we were just looking at ideas of each other, like looking at your window shade but never seeing inside. But once the vessel cracks, the light can get in. The light can get out.”
2. “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”
3. “She never acted as if she liked him all that much, but then she never acted as if she liked anyone all that much.”
4. “As far as I can tell, there are two basic (kissing) rules: 1. Don't bite anything without permission. 2. The human tongue is like wasabi: it's very powerful, and should be used sparingly.”
5. “I smiled. She smiled. I believed the smile.”
6. “My head was level with hers as we stared at each other from opposite sides of the glass. I don't remember how it ended - if I went to bed or she did. In my memory, it doesn't end. We just stay there, looking at each other, forever.”
7. “She had the kind of fingers you want to interlace with your own.”
8. “What about the rest of your life?"
She shrugged. "What about it?"
"Aren't you worried about, like, forever?"
"Forever is composed of nows," she says.”
9. “It was nice — in the dark and the quiet... and her eyes looking back, like there was something in me worth seeing.”
10. “Tonight, darling, we are going to right a lot of wrongs. And we are going to wrong some rights. The first shall be last; the last shall be first; the meek shall do some earth-inheriting. But before we can radically reshape the world, we need to shop.”
11. “I didn’t need you, you idiot. I picked you. And then you picked me back.”
12. “That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfeast cereals based on color instead of taste.”
13. “Margo was not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.”
14. "The something deeper and more secret. It's like cracks inside of you. Like there are these fault lines where things don't meet up right.”
15. “I stand in this parking lot, realizing that I’ve never been this far from home, and here is this girl I love and cannot follow. I hope this is the hero’s errand, because not following her is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”
16. “But I had to kill you, because the only other possible ending was us doing it, which I wasn't really emotionally ready to write about at ten.""Fair enough," I say. "But in the revision, I want to get some action.”
17. “I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.”
18. “Margo always loved mysteries. And in everything that came afterward, I could never stop thinking that maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one.”
19. “It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.”
Images: Tumblr; Giphy