All The Attacks ISIS Has Claimed Responsibility For In The Last Year
A day after 23 people were shot and killed at a Tunisian museum, ISIS came out Thursday and said it was behind the deadly shooting. But the museum attack isn't the only tragic incident the Islamic militant group has declared as its own. Time again we have seen ISIS claim responsibility for attacks in countries around the world, from France to Libya, and now Tunisia.
ISIS-claimed attacks have ranged far and wide, from a reported hacking of Newsweek's Twitter account to horrific suicide bombings that left dozens dead. ISIS is also the organization backing Mohammed Emwazi, a British man (known in the media as "Jihadi John") who committed brutal beheadings of ISIS hostages. In the last couple years, ISIS has released multiple videos of hostage beheadings, including those of American-Israeli journalist Steven Sotloff, British aid worker Alan Henning, and Japanese businessman Haruna Yukawa and journalist Kenji Goto.
As more militant organizations pledge their allegiance to the Syria-based extremist group, ISIS' reach has dramatically increased. Today, ISIS not only commands territory in Syria and Iraq, but also holds operations in Libya, Lebanon, Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, North and West Africa, and South and Southeast Asia. In recent months, ISIS — if the group is truly behind each and every incident it claims — has accelerated its public attacks, broaden its target range, and become more aggressive.
Charlie Hebdo Shooting, January 2015
Eleven people, including nine journalists who worked at French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, were shot and killed after two gunmen stormed the paper's office. The attackers owed their allegiance to extremists al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula while a third shooter, who took hostages at a local grocery store, belonged to ISIS. The Charlie Hebdo shooting suggested that ISIS and AQAP, two organizations historically at odds, might be working together.
Sinai Attacks, January 2015
An ISIS affiliate formerly known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis took responsibility for a series of attacks in cities across Egypt's Sinai peninsula. The bombings specifically targeted military bases and checkpoints, leaving 44 dead, including 24 soldiers, six policemen, and 14 civilians. The group, which announced it was behind the attacks via a Twitter account, had pledged allegiance to ISIS in November to become ISIS' Sinai wing.
Al-Qubbah Bombings, February 2015
ISIS claimed responsibility for several suicide car bombings that killed 45 people in al-Qubbah, a small Libyan town located roughly 150 miles from Benghazi. ISIS fighters said in an online statement that the bombings were in retaliation for Egyptian airstrikes that launched after the militant group killed 21 Christians. It was one of the deadliest attacks in the country's history since the fall of Libyan dictator Col. Muammar Gaddafi.
Tunisia Museum Attack, March 2015
Two gunmen stormed the National Bardo Museum in the capital Tunis and opened fire, leaving 23 people dead, most of whom were tourists. Among those killed were visitors from Spain, Italy, Poland, and Germany. Through an online recording, ISIS claimed responsibility for the deadly shooting, one of the worst attacks on foreigners in history.
Images: Getty Images (2)