June 21 marks the first day of summer, and I want to ring in the start of the hottest months of the year with a bunch of beach-worthy quotes about summer. This season is such a fun, exciting, and sweaty time (we all have to reassess how we dress in the heat), so let’s get pumped to enjoy it.
For me, as a California native, there is just something about summers that make my state come alive. Every year, people from all over the world flock to our beaches, our lakes, our theme parks, and our wineries to take in all the sunshine and recreation. I spent a lot of my childhood summers camping, swimming in the ocean, and kicking around a soccer ball until the street lamps came on. Now I spend most of my summers working and praying the AC holds up, but I still love this time of year.
The summer months are a great time to live in California, but really, you can make summer fun wherever you are! Have a backyard BBQ, sip some summer beers, or have the perfect picnic. Let these quotes about the start of summer inspire you to have your best summer yet.
1. "Summer means happy times and good sunshine. It means going to the beach, going to Disneyland, having fun." — Brian Wilson
2. "Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air, and you." — Langston Hughes
3. "Summer has always been my favorite season. I feel happier." — Zooey Deschanel
4. "Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it." — Russell Baker
5. "In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." — Albert Camus
6. "Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." — Henry James
7. "If you can't stand the heat, don't go to Cancun in the summer." — Ben Stein
8. “Summer bachelors like summer breezes, are never as cool as they pretend to be.” ― Nora Ephron
9. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
10. “Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
11. “If it could only be like this always — always summer, always alone, the fruit always ripe and Aloysius in a good temper...” ― Evelyn Waugh, Brideshead Revisited