Last Minute Thanksgiving Sides: Baked Pumpkin with Chopped Walnuts
Time is running out to plan your Thanksgiving menu, so consider this recipe that showcases obvious fall flavors in a simple, straightforward way. Serve as a side dish, or top with vanilla ice cream and offer it in place of pumpkin pie.
3 lbs pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shredded walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Cut the pumpkin into small 2"x 2" pieces.
4. In a pot combine 1 cup sugar with 2 glasses water.
5. Simmer it until sugar melts completely.
6. In a heavy bottom pan, heat ½ cup sugar.
7. Over medium heat, slowly melt the sugar while stirring until it caramelizes. Spread it evenly.
8. Add the pumpkin pieces skin side up.
9. Pour over the sugar syrup.
10. Cover the pan with foil and bake it in the oven. After 40 minutes, once the pumpkin is soft and cooked, remove the foil and bake it for another 10 minutes.
11. Serve the pieces sprinkled with shredded walnuts over caramelized pieces.