While I'm stuck here anxiously twiddle my thumbs on the East Coast, there seems to be a lot going on in California. Like, for instance, the The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 teaser that just debuted alongside The Hunger Games' panel at San Diego Comic-Con, under the guise of "A Message From District 13 (a full trailer also premiered at the panel, but that's not yet online.)
So, what's the message? Yes, I know: At first glance, it seems like District 13 is reenacting the scene from Cadet Kelly when Lizzie McGuire joins the drill team (...you guys remember that?). But, context clues and a really intense vibe actually foreshadow what we'll be seeing in the last Hunger Games installment, if you pay attention closely enough.
Of course, as most Hunger Games fans likely know, it seems that The Hunger Games franchise is going to end with a fierce battle of good versus evil, with Katniss, obviously, leading the pack. I mean, if you didn't already know that, this teaser makes it clear enough. However, the specifics of how the movie will wrap up the story remain unknown — so any hints that vague teasers offer are sincerely welcome.
But, what hints does this teaser specifically include? Let's take a moment to check out what we viewers could assume from the Mockingjay Part 2 teaser.
1. District 13 has some really insane washing machines.
Those uniforms are like, a pristine white. Do they not think blood will be shed during this thing? Like, they know that they're holding guns, right?
2. There's a real strength in numbers, and though the Hunger Games is all about murdering and competition, it feels like everyone's truly banding together.
Reasonably, you can't overthrow the Capitol with a handful of people.
3. Unity is big, that's why everyone is so precisely matched up in their movements.
They're all on the same page.
4. Weapons = progress.
Remember back in the day when people had to shoot squirrels with arrows to survive? I feel like we're in a better place than we were three movies ago.
5. Katniss has developed from a reluctant media star to a reluctant face of the revolution to a confident super hero.
I still think capes are impractical, but this is major symbolism.
6. This sign makes a comeback, to show both rebirth and a renewed sense of revolution.
It's mutated from a sign of respect and farewell to a symbol of potential freedom.
7. And Katniss has fully accepted that she's special, the leader in this rebellion.
That stark red sets her apart as the one that will bring them to victory.
Check out the teaser below. Mockingjay, Part 2 will hit theaters on Nov. 20.
Images: Lionsgate/YouTube (8)