The wonder and whimsy of Pushing Daisies remains unparalleled on TV, and a big part of that magic came from Anna Friel's Charlotte "Chuck" Charles. Despite being undead — or simply "no longer dead" as Ned would put it — Chuck was the heart of Pushing Daisies, and the dead girl gave excellent life advice. Over the course of two season, Chuck, who never got a chance to truly live while she was alive, never took her second chance at life for granted. These Pushing Daisies quotes prove that no one handed out solid life advice like Chuck.
As far as Chuck was concerned, there were mysteries to be solved, aunts to be encouraged, and adventures to be had. Despite having been through the trauma of being murdered, Chuck remained resilient. After the worst thing she could imagine happened to her, she decided that there was no reason not to live every day to its absolute fullest.
Chuck being Chuck, she passed this life philosophy on to the rest of the Pie Hole gang, including the risk-adverse Ned and the perpetually grumpy Emerson. Her words of wisdom transcend the show though. These Chuck quotes from Pushing Daisies are perfect for anyone who needs a little extra motivation to conquer their day. (Hey, anyone who died and came back as cheerful and well-adjusted as Chuck must be doing something right.)
1. "You can't just touch somebody's life and be done with it!"
Even though Ned maintains that's just how he rolls, Chuck knows that once you become part of someone's life, you shouldn't simply walk away from that connection. And in some cases, sticking around can lead to something beautiful and unexpected.
2. "How do you know there's not a ghost somewhere right now telling his ghost friend, 'You don't really think there's a guy who can touch dead people back to life, do you?'"
Believing in impossible things isn't a bad thing. In Chuck's case, it keeps her sense of possibility and imagination alive, and it helps her find creative solutions to the problems she faces.
3. "I may not be Superman, but I'm smart and I'm helpful."
This should be everyone's life motto, because you don't have to be a superhero to be important.
4. "It's amazing how a familiar smell can wrap you in its arms and coddle away any ugly memories between now and the last time you smelt it."
Sometimes, you have to seek out comfort in something familiar. Chuck knows how safe spaces can make you feel warm and happy, and why nostalgia can be good for the soul.
5. "I mean, everyone needs family."
Whether it's the family you're born into or the one you choose, being surrounding by people who love you is one of life's greatest gifts.
6. "We let loose with everything we were feeling and thinking, and flogged our friendship to death with a great big truth club."
Sometimes letting all of the resentment and anger your feeling come pouring out can lead to a messy situation. Take Chuck's advice and talk before things reach a point of no return.
7. "Are you sure you don't want to untie those apron strings and lace up those chasing laces?"
If adventure comes knocking, don't stay in the kitchen baking pies. No one knows better than Chuck that you'll regret the things you didn't do far more than the ones that you did.
8. "I suppose dying's as good an excuse as any to start living."
If you learn nothing else from Chuck, remember that the end of one phase of your life has the potential to be the beginning of a new one.
9. "Then you haven't been hugged properly. It's like an emotional Heimlich. Someone puts their arms around you and they give you a squeeze and all your fear and anxiety come shooting out of your mouth in a big, wet wad and you can breathe again."
A hug from the right person can be a cure-all on a bad day.
10. "Yeah, well, luck pushed me first."
When life shoves Chuck around, she shoves it right back, and doesn't apologize for it.
11. "What do you need to be happy?"
Once you know the answer to this question, then you've pretty much got the whole life thing figured out.
Chuck's life advice made Pushing Daisies an even brighter show than it already was, and even though the Pie Hole is closed, her words of wisdom will never stop being relevant.