12 Movie Quotes That'd Make Great Valentine's Day Cards
February is the worst. It's cold, it's wet, and that lousy groundhog in Pennsylvania just saw his shadow, ensuring another six weeks of garbage weather. But there is one bright spot to look forward to during the month, and that's Valentine's Day. The holiday often gets a bad rap for putting undue pressure on couples to manufacture some romance, but Valentine's Day is really about celebrating love, and what's not great about that? And if you need a little help this year when it comes to celebrating, you should turn to Hollywood because there are a bunch of movie quotes that'd make great Valentine's Day cards.
Obviously, romance is a movie genre that has been around forever, and will always be around. There's just something timeless about seeing two people fall in love on screen. Whether it's in the form of a sappy drama, a romantic comedy, or as the subplot in another genre, movie romances often form people's ideals on how they'd like their own love lives to look. And even though nobody's relationship ever turns out the way they do in the movies, a good romantic movie quote on a Valentine's Day card can at least lend a little bit of that Hollywood magic to your own life. So choose from one of the romantic movie quotes below and make your own special card this Valentine's Day.
1. "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
From When Harry Met Sally, perhaps the greatest rom-com of them all.
2. "To me, you are perfect."
Love, Actually is technically a Christmas movie, but it still works.
3. "Love is too weak a word for what I feel — I lurve you."
From Annie Hall, a rom-com that actually won the Oscar for Best Picture.
4. "Love means never having to say you’re sorry."
This quote, from Love Story, is certainly overused, but there's a reason for that: It's great.
5. "I wish I knew how to quit you."
Probably the most parodied line on this list, this Brokeback Mountain quote still illustrates the haplessness of those in love.
6. "I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day."
You knew something from The Notebook had to show up here.
7. "Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."
This quote may not have originated in Hitch, but it's still sound advice coming from Will Smith.
8. "True love is your soul’s recognition of its counterpoint in another."
Straight up poetry coming from Wedding Crashers of all places.
9. "I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is."
This Forrest Gump quote is gender-specific and a little self-deprecating, but I like its message.
10. "True love is the greatest thing, in the world — except for a nice MLT — mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe."
Obviously, your Valentine needs to have a great sense of humor to appreciate this Princess Bride quote.
11. "I love you. I LOVE YOU. I’m not even embarrassed to say it. I just... I love you!"
This Superbad line was from an interaction between best friends, not lovers, but it's probably the most enthusiastic declaration of love out of the bunch.
12. "I love you." "I know."
This classic exchange from The Empire Strikes Back is a two-parter intended mainly for Star Wars geeks. The front of the card would simply say "I love you," then you open it up to reveal the "I know." You're welcome.