In 1980, National Women’s History Project realized it was time to give women not just a voice, but proper role models. Having noticed that when it came to history, only three percent was devoted to women, the group convinced Congress that a National Women's History Month wouldn't just inspire girls and women, but teach everyone the important contributions women have made throughout history. Although the group originally were able to make March 8 International Women's Day, by 1987 the day evolved into a whole month — a month dedicated to not just the history of women, but the impact we have on a daily basis.
As is the case every year, this National Women's History Month will have a theme: Honoring Trailblazing Women in Labor and Business. It's an homage to women who have been a defining force in the business world; a world that is still on the wrong side of history in some ways, most notably with that persisting gender pay gap.
Although we should celebrate and honor women all year, and not just during Women's History Month, this is indeed a time to step it up. What I mean is it's time to flood your Facebook with amazing feminist quotes in honor of the women who have fought and continue to fight tirelessly for gender equality.
Here are 17 quotes to share on your Facebook page during the month of March.
1. “Women have two choices: Either she's a feminist or a masochist.” ― Gloria Steinem
2. “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” — Audra Lorde
3. "I think every woman in our culture is a feminist. They may refuse to articulate it, but if you were to take any woman back 40 years and say 'is this the world you want to live in?' they would say 'no'." — Helen Mirren
4. "In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders." —Sheryl Sandberg
5. "Feminism is for everybody." — bell hooks
6. “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.” — Rebecca West
7. "Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings." — Cheris Kramarae
8. “You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female’.” — Erin McKean
9. "Feminism isn't about making women strong. Women are already strong. It's about changing the way the world perceives that strength." — G.D. Anderson
10. “No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor.” — Betty Friedan
11. "The more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop." —Emma Watson
12. “I hate men who are afraid of women's strength.” — Anaïs Nin
13. "Women belong in all places where decisions are being made... It shouldn't be that women are the exception." — Ruth Bader Ginsburg
14. “Woman's degradation is in mans idea of his sexual rights. Our religion, laws, customs, are all founded on the belief that woman was made for man.” — Elizabeth Cady Stanton
15. "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." — Coco Chanel
16. "I am a woman with thoughts and questions and sh*t to say. I say if I'm beautiful. I say if I'm strong. You will not determine my story – I will." — Amy Schumer
17. "We need to understand that there is no formula for how women should lead their lives." — Hillary Clinton
So during this Women's History Month take to Facebook and share these quotes. TBH, some of our friends might need a lesson or two in this area.