Kevin Spacey Is Reportedly Under Investigation By London Police For An Alleged 2008 Sexual Assault

Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

On Friday, The Guardian reported that London police are reportedly investigating Kevin Spacey for an alleged sexual assault that would have taken place in 2008. A Scotland Yard spokesperson told the outlet Friday, "On 1 November, City of London police referred an allegation of sexual assault to the Metropolitan police service. It is alleged a man assaulted another man in 2008 in Lambeth. Officers from the child abuse and sexual offenses command are investigating." In 2008, Spacey was working in London as the artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre, according to The Guardian.

As reported by The Guardian, "[The Metropolitan Police Service] declined to confirm the identity of the alleged perpetrator, but it is believed to be 58-year-old Spacey." The Guardian pointed to a report from The Sun about the sexual assault allegation investigation in which The Sun claims that the person being investigated is Spacey. The tabloid reports that an unidentified 23-year-old man (who is now 32) claims he woke up in Spacey's London home to find the House of Cards actor allegedly performing a sexual act on him. The Sun reports the young man alleges Spacey told him, "Don't tell anyone about this."

Bustle has reached out to a lawyer for Spacey and to the Metropolitan Police Service for comment, but did not receive a response at the time of publication.

The Guardian reports that, "A spokesman said it had no record of any arrests having been made in connection with the investigation and police declined to comment on a report from The Sun that the complainant had been interviewed by police."

This report comes on the heels of the multiple sexual misconduct allegations that have been made against the two-time Oscar winner. The first allegation to make headlines was published on Sunday, Oct. 29 when Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp alleged to BuzzFeed News that in 1986 a 26-year-old Spacey attempted to sexually assault him when he was 14 years old. Rapp claims the American Beauty actor picked him up, placed him on his bed, and then climbed on top of him. Rapp claimed that he was able to "squirm" away.

Spacey responded to Rapp's allegations on Monday, Oct. 30 via a statement he tweeted:

Spacey's former publicist (Deadline confirmed Thursday his publicist Staci Wolfe had dropped him as a client, in addition to his talent agency, CAA) also released the following statement to Variety Thursday, "Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time."

Rochelle Brodin/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

In addition to Rapp, other individuals have come forward alleging Spacey has sexually assaulted, attempted to sexually assault, or sexually harassed them. This list includes filmmaker Tony Montana and actor Robert Cavazos. In an interview with Radar Online, Montana alleged Spacey groped him in 2003 while at a bar in Los Angeles by placing his hand on Montana's crotch.

On Facebook on Oct. 30, Cavazos shared that he had performed with Spacey at London's Old Vic Theatre. He alleged (translation via Vulture), "It seems the only requirement was to be a male under the age of 30 for Mr Spacey to feel free to touch us. It was so common that it even became a local joke (in very bad taste)." He then claimed, "I myself had a couple of nasty encounters with Spacey that were on the verge of being called harassment." Furthermore, Cavazsos alleged that Spacey used to organize "picnics" with actors that were supposed to be used for career discussion, but where Spacey would allegedly touch them inappropriately.

Regarding both Montana and Cavazos' allegations, Bustle reached out to a lawyer for Spacey for comment, but did not receive an immediate response.

On Friday, CNN released a report detailing allegations from eight individuals, who either currently work on House of Cards or previously worked on the series, alleging they were sexually harassed by Spacey. One of those eight people also claims Spacey sexually assaulted him. In addition, Vulture published an interview with a man, who chose to remain anonymous, who alleged Spacey had attempted to rape him when he was 15 years old and Spacey was in his twenties. The actor's lawyer told Vulture, "Mr. Spacey absolutely denies the allegations."

Jesse Grant/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

Production for Season 6 of House of Cards was suspended on Tuesday. Netflix and Media Rights Capital released the following statement to Bustle:

Deadline published a statement Monday, Oct. 30 from House of Cards' creator, Beau Willmon about the allegations Rapp made about Spacey. "Anthony Rapp’s story is deeply troubling," Willmon said. "During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off. That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage."