The 'Hocus Pocus' Sanderson Sisters Are An Inspiration For Both Halloween & Life
If you're a powerful woman, then chances are that you grew up idolizing witches like the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus. Sure, they were supposed to be the bad guys, but, as with any good theatrical villain, there was still a lot to be admired about them. (You know, aside from that whole eating children thing.) From Winifred's short fuse to Sarah's flirtatiousness to Mary's basic outlook on life, the Sanderson sisters were all the worst parts of yourself expressed in the best way possible. And the fact that they wrapped all of that up in a ribbon of sass made them more lovable.
In short, there's a long list of reasons why the Sanderson sisters are an inspiration — not just for Halloween, but for life. Released in 1993, just before Halloween, Hocus Pocus would become one of the most beloved family movies of all time. The movie also arrived at the start of a '90s obsession with witches that led to films like Practical Magic and The Craft, and TV shows like Charmed and Buffy The Vampire Slayer, portraying witchcraft and the women who practice it in unique and empowering ways.
Though the witches of those titles are all awesome in their own right, none of them really hold a candle to the OG's of Hocus Pocus, and here are all the times the Sandersons reminded you of that fact.
1. Whenever They Perfectly Synchronized A Reaction
My goodness. It was pure poetry every time.
2. When Death Was Nothing But A Minor Inconvenience
Taylor Swift might have said, “Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time," but the Sanderson sisters did it first.
3. When They Served Up The Perfect Reminder That You're More Powerful With Friends
Anything you can do, a united coven of witches can do better.
4. When Sarah Was The Embodiment Of Your Saturday Night Pep Talk
If you say this into the mirror ten times at the stroke of midnight then Sarah Jessica Parker appears behind you with a mojito and a hot take on the current status of your love life.
5. When They Had The Only Rational Reaction To The Cops Pulling Up
Even the most powerful of witches know better than to stick around when those lights start flashing.
6. When Their Comebacks Were On Point And Inspirational
Savage yet appropriate for around 99.9 percent of uncomfortable social engagements.
7. Whenever Winifred Exhibited Exactly Zero Chill
8. That Time Winifred Inspired All Of Your Future Karaoke Performances
If you're not adding wild dramatic gestures to your drunken performances, then are you even really doing karaoke?
9. Every Time That Mary Just DGAF
She was uncool and loud about that fact and damn is that a vibe we understand all too well.
10. When They Did The Whole “We Are The Weirdos, Mister” Bus Ride Three Years Before 'The Craft '
Nancy Downs gave terror, but Winifred Sanderson served charm.
11. When Winifred’s Conjuring Gave You Homemade Cocktail Goals
Bring to a full rolling bubble. Add two drops oil of boil. And lashings of vodka.
12. Every Time They Made “Witch” Seem Like A Glamorous Career Option
Guidance counselors could never understand.
13. When They Knew How To Push A Party Too Far
The Sanderson sisters were basically those women turning the music back up at 4 a.m. when everyone else has either gone home from the party or fallen asleep in the bathtub.
14. Whenever They Weren’t Afraid To Show Their Disdain For Someone
Judgement Level: Critical.
15. When Mary Used A Vacuum Cleaner To Its Full Potential
Clean with it all you want. But we all know that it's secretly a broomstick waiting to happen.
16. When Their Awkward Attempts At Flirting Felt All Too Real
It's impossible to flirt without pulling that face. You know the one.
17. Whenever Mary Found True Happiness In Simple Pleasures
Basic it may be, but the humble television is still one of the most magical contraptions this world has ever seen.
18. When Winifred Had No Time For Suffering Fools Gladly
It’s the face that every young girl who loved Hocus Pocus has grown up to use against society as an adult woman. No witchcraft necessary.
Oh, the Sanderson sisters. We learned a lot from them as children, and, no matter how old we are now, we continue to learn from them still. Stay sassy, be magical, and ride that vacuum cleaner into the damn sky.