There are a lot of things I hate about winter: the snow, the slush, the frigid cold weather, the fact that I have to wear 2,847 layers just to go to the mail box... endless. But, there is one thing I love about the season: the soup. Clam chowder, tomato bisque, good old fashioned chicken noodle, I love them all — but my very favorite is a DIY cheddar broccoli soup recipe.
Whether it's a warm lunch on a cold day of work, a hot snack after an afternoon of sledding, or a cozy dinner on a snowy winter night, there's nothing like a bowl of soup to brighten your mood in the winter. The perfect seasonal meal, it warms you up from the inside out, makes you feel happier, warmer, and better, no matter how frozen your toes are. And while every soup is worthy of winter, there's one particular kind that rules them all: broccoli cheddar soup.
Creamy, cheesy, and loaded with fresh vegetables, broccoli cheddar soup makes a delicious meal no matter what the occasion is. Sick in bed? Heat yourself up a cup. Snowed in? Make a huge batch. Prepping meals for the week? Make room in your freezer, because no whatever the problem is, cheddar broccoli soup is the answer. The best part about it? It's super easy and cheap to make at home.
Unlike so many other soup recipes that take all day to simmer on the stove, this broccoli cheddar soup takes less than an hour to make, from start to finish. You can easily adjust the recipe to include more or less broccoli and cheese, so you can create the perfect bowl, every time.
Ready to give it a whirl? Here's how you can try your own broccoli cheddar soup.
Cheddar And Broccoli Soup
- 2 tbsp. butter + 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 2/4 cups shredded carrots
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt, + more to taste
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Stir in onions and saute until clear and fragrant, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On another burner over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Quickly whisk in flour and cook until mixture is smooth.
- Slowly, add in milk and then cream, whisking continuously as you go. Stir in vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring regularly, until mixture is thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in onions, broccoli, and carrots. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Add salt to taste. Serve immediately.