11 '90s Movie Quotes You Didn't Understand As A Kid
Crude Nick cartoons aside, there are plenty of dirty jokes you didn't understand in '90s kids movies despite their so-called "child-friendly" packaging. After all, even the most well-meaning Disney film is bound to have a few slip-ups here and there. Take the sorry saga of the well-meaning 1977 classic, The Rescuers Down Under, for instance: Even though the film was pretty much devoid of any of the sort of innuendos children's animation would become known for in the decades to follow (cc: Spongebob SquarePants, Ren and Stimpy...), Disney was forced to recall 3.4 million copies of the VHS version when it was revealed that two fraction of a second stills of a topless woman were added to the film in post-production. Even after the animation giant released a statement reiterating "our promise to families that we can trust and rely on the Disney brand to provide the finest in family entertainment," it soon came to light that lots of other Disney films contained hidden innuendos and dirty jokes.
Fortunately for us in the present day, there are lots of classic '90s movies, both animated and live action alike, that feature next-level references you probably missed the first time around. Here are 11 of the greatest '90s movie quotes you didn't understand as a kid.
1. "Sh*t, you guys, I've never had straight friends before." — Clueless
It's true: Clueless' resident new girl had a thing for herbal refreshments, and she wasn't just talking about tea. Apparently, "straight" is a synonym for "clean," meaning, not on drugs.
2. "The Bone Dancer, Rumpleforeskin, Baloney Bop, a bit of the old Cunning Linguistics?" — Mrs. Doubtfire
Robin Williams' namesake character in Mrs. Doubtfire wasn't exactly as PG as you might've once thought, as shown in this innuendo-ladden scene with Pierce Brosnan.
3. "Are there any other areas besides basketball where you find yourself unable to perform?" — Space Jam
Watch the beginning of the basketball therapy clip at 1:39.
4. "I'll bet that never happened in home ec." — Forrest Gump
Yikes. Sorry about that bathrobe, Forrest.
5. "Wow! Wittgenstein is searching through all my files, searching through regions heretofore only dreamed of by man. Whew…that feels sorta good. My memory banks are being stroked, and by an expert. I feel something inside of me, and I can’t keep it to myself any longer!"— Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue
Your memory banks? Really? You stop that, Disney!
6. "I’m getting pretty fond of you, kid. Not that I want to pick out curtains, or anything." — Aladdin
In addition to the Genie’s impressive celebrity impersonations, apparently he also makes romantic innuendos too, as evidenced by his assurance that his affections were strictly platonic in rescuing Aladdin from Jafar's henchmen.
7. "The sight of all these deceased creatures gives me a shrinky winky." — 101 Dalmatians
A pre-House Hugh Laurie as a down-on-his-luck puppy assassin in a taxidermy shop? I'll buy it.
8. "Wanna pollinate with a real bug?" — A Bug's Life
If you think A Bug's Life gets racy, try the Woody Allen-voiced cartoon Antz.
9. "Man! They cut my cord!" "Consider yourself lucky." — Rugrats: The Movie
Because babies voiced as irritated old people and circumcision jokes will never get old to me.
10. "Oh Skip, you can pin me anytime you want to." — Pleasantville
Leave it to a 1990s reimagining of the 1950's to give a seemingly-wholesome act like "pinning" your date a whole other meaning.
11. "That Oedipus thing? Man, I thought I had problems!" — Hercules
Did you know about the story of Oedipus when you were seven? This line certainly went right over my head.
Take that, Rescuers Down Under!
Images: Paramount, Giphy (4)