Like any hobby, reading means something different to every person who loves it, so subscription-box service Book of the Month sent out bookmarks asking subscribers what it represented in their lives. Using those filled-in strips, the 17 tweets below prove that Book of the Month Club's #ReadingIs campaign totally gets you as a book nerd.
The biggest book nerds will tell you that having arms full of books is like having lungs full of air. We need books. We crave their presence. That's why we buy new books, knowing we won't read them for some time. The Japanese even have a word for it: tsundoku .
To a lot of people, books are even better than relationships. They don't judge. You can eat two pints of Ben & Jerry's and two sleeves of Oreos in one sitting, and the book you're reading will totally understand why, without asking questions or wanting you to share.
For us introverts, the books talk so we don't have to. Sometimes there are just too many conversations — online and in-person — vying for our attention, and it's nice to shut them all out for 50 pages or so. Seriously, folks, we're fine. We just need some space, and we're dying to find out what happened to Megan Hipwell.
Here are 17 tweets from Book of the Month Club subscribers on what #ReadingIs to them.
1. #ReadingIs ... Better than Sex ... Almost. ;)
2. #ReadingIs ... My Version of Binge Watching.
3. #ReadingIs ... My Tiny Moment of Peace.
4. #ReadingIs ... My Portal to Everything.
5. #ReadingIs ... Exercise for My Brain.
6. #ReadingIs ... Losing Yourself, Only to Realize You Were Never Really Lost.
7. #ReadingIs ... What's for Dinner.
8. #ReadingIs ... Cheaper Than Therapy.
9. #ReadingIs ... a Vacation for the Mind.
10. #ReadingIs ... Like Living 1,000 Lives.
11. #ReadingIs ... Necessary.
12. #ReadingIs ... to Be Treasured.
13. #ReadingIs ... My Escape During Naptime.
14. #ReadingIs ... My Escape to Other Times and Places.
15. #ReadingIs ... One of Life's Greatest Pleasures.
16. #ReadingIs ... Better with a Kitten.
17. #ReadingIs ... Essential to a Happy Life.