3 Quick & Easy Holiday Party Hairstyles
Before you know it the holidays will be here and (if you're anything like me) you'll have to cobble something together off your bedroom floor, shove some tinsel in your hair, and hope for the best. If this sounds like your annual situation, quick and easy holiday party hairstyles will come to your rescue during this festive season, much like a goblet of mulled wine when you're introducing your S.O. to your parents at Thanksgiving. Because there are usually times during the holidays when you need to peel yourself out of your PJs, put on some real clothes, and pretend to be an adult. Sigh.
Of course, I'd love to be one of those gals who rocks up to a party wearing a decadent, gold leaf 'do that took the best part of an hour to create. But, TBH, I'm not that great at hair and even if I was a pro at styling, I could find better ways to waste an hour of my life. Like eating pizza and watching Gilmore Girls , as a purely hypothetical example.
So I turned to the experts to learn some quick and easy holiday party hairstyles, that'll have you looking fabulously festive quicker than you can say, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."
1. The Messy Bun
Chelle Neff, owner of Urban Betty Salon, explains over email how to create an elegant messy bun. Neff says, "This can be dressed up or down. It looks good at a casual holiday party or a super fancy event." She gives me step-by-step instructions on how to achieve a messy bun at home.
- "Pull the hair up into a pony at the top of your head," says Neff. "Don’t worry about smoothing all the little hairs around the front of your head. The more lived-in texture it has, the better."
- "Loosely braid the ponytail and secure it at the end with an elastic. Make sure to pull the braid apart so it looks nice and ful," Neff continues.
- Lastly, Neff explains, "Wrap the messy braid around itself and pin at the base. You can secure around the rest of the bun with bobby pins to keep it in place. I like to hit the whole thing with a shot of hairspray at the end. My favorite is the Bumble and bumble Strong Hold. Be easy with it though, you want it to lightly hold the bun, not shellac it down."
A quick, messy bun is a safe, yet chic option for a party — it's a great one for hair novices as it's tricky to get wrong.
2. A Sleek Ponytail With A Metallic Headband
Skinny Metallic Headband, $16.50, jcrew.com
Max Gierl, Senior Stylist at Mizu New York, tells me over email, "I'm loving a smooth, sleek, low pony accessorized with a simple metallic headband." He explains how to get your style super sleek, "Get that ponytail smooth by finishing it with a pomade."
If you live with your partner and they happen to be a guy, Gierl says, "You can probably raid your man's medicine cabinet for this or check out Oribe's Original Pomade. It'll be so smooth and shiny! Love!"
3. A Low Loose Pony
Neff says, "This again looks great at a casual holiday event and takes no time!" She explains how to get this look in just three easy steps.
- "Curl your hair into big loose waves," says Neff, "I like to use a one inch curling iron, taking big sections. If you have naturally curly hair, you can skip this step."
- Next, "Part your hair on the side and leave a few hairs out around the face. This keeps the hairstyle looking romantic and soft," explains Neff.
- After this, "Gather your hair into a loose side pony. You can wrap a few hairs around the elastic and pin at the base if you choose. I use these great clear elastics by ElasticU that are invisible in the hair," Neff says. "Finish with a light mist of hairspray and you’re ready to go!" She concludes.
So there you have it, three quick and easy, hairstylist approved looks to see you through the upcoming festive season in style!
Image: Courtesy Brand