If you're in a long-term thing or even just casually seeing someone, one thing is certain: The warm and fuzzy feelings associated with the holidays can definitely make us re-evaluate our relationships. Fortunately, humor can be found in even the bleakest scenarios, as evidenced by the hashtag #ChristmasBreakupExcuses that's trending on Twitter. Users seized the opportunity to make their best dating-themed Christmas puns, which will definitely help cheer you up if you're experiencing a holiday breakup and upset about spending the holidays alone.
Depending on your level of cynicism (and Christmas spirit), being single during the holidays is either the absolute best or absolute worst experience. On the one hand, it can be fun to have someone by your side while you endure small talk from crazy family members, sip (read: chug) eggnog by the fire, and exchange gifts. On the other hand, there are some serious benefits to being single for the holiday season, like getting quality family time without awkwardly "babysitting" your significant the whole time (assuming they're not integrated into your fam already).
This time of year is all about spending time with people you love, and if things have been feeling a little off in your romantic life, the Christmas season could even magnify that uncertainty. In fact, it's one of the most popular times of year for breakups. Here are some of the funniest, pun-heavy Christmas breakup excuses, courtesy of Twitter. (Pro tip: I'd avoid breaking up with someone on Christmas — it's a little cruel to ruin the holiday for them forevermore).
1. *Checks Bank Account*... "We Need To Talk"
2. When You Can't Pretend Anymore
3. There's No Denying The Chemistry
4. Nothing Wrong With Being Your Best Single Elf
5. There Wasn't A Bushy White Beard In Sight
6. The Yuletide Perks Of Being Single
7. Sorry, I Only Date Professional Problem-Solvers
8. Maybe Suck On A Candy Cane?
9. New Year's Resolution: Improve Listening Skills
10. Thinking Ahead
11. At Least Grandma's Safe This Year
12. Sorry, I Don't Make The Rules
13. Because It's Been The Year From Hell
14. Stoke The Fire Before It Burns Out
15. Sometimes, You Don't Even Need A Reason
If you have a significant you can't wait to make Yule Logs with, consider this an excuse to express your appreciation for them. And if your love life has taken an unexpected downward turn this holiday season, just remember that you can totally stuff your stocking all by yourself.