In the past 25 years, we've seen some deeply stirring bromances blossom on television, But among the majority of bromantic BFFs seen on television, none quite measure up to the bromance between The O.C. protagonists, perpetually brooding Ryan Atwood and cute-but-nerdy Seth Cohen. Throughout the series, the two epitomized what it meant to be in a bromantic relationship... emphasis on the bro.
OK, so Seth and Ryan are only legally bros as opposed to, you know, coming from the same womb. But, you can't deny that within the course of the show, they morphed from unlikely companions to family. Maybe it was a matter of timing; Ryan entered the Cohen household after being systematically betrayed by his fellow Atwoods. Or maybe it was a personality balance... Seth, lacking in both confidence or friends, needed someone cool and fearless to guide him through his last few years of high school.
In short, no one can doubt that those two were the backbone of The O.C. So let's look back at some of the most bromantic Seth and Ryan moments, definitively ranked.
9. When Seth Picked Up On Ryan's Defining Quirks To Create Kid Chino
Ranked low considering that Seth picked up on all of his friends' quirks to make up their Atomic County alter egos — but I'm still charmed by the fact that Kid Chino has "fists of fury," because duh.
8. When Seth Relates The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay To His Relationship With Ryan
Seth's exact recap? "It’s the tale of two young men who couldn’t be more different but they learn to overcome their differences. They team up and essentially become brothers, not unlike you and me.”
7. When Ryan Is The Best Man At Seth And Summer's Wedding
So small, so beautiful, such a marker of how far they've come.
6. When Ryan Fought Off A Team Of Evil Water Polo Players For Seth... And Later When Ryan Threw Another Punch At Luke For Threatening Seth
It's a tie! Those fists of fury are thrown around a lot in the first and second episode, and it solidified their friendship early on.
5. When Seth And Ryan Mimed An Entire Conversation Through A Sheet Of Pouring Rain
This one absolutely charms me, because they so desperately want to be together, but not enough to brave the one day a year it isn't sunny in southern California. Also, when Seth brings out the bagels as a bribe, I die.
4. When Ryan Chased Seth To Portland And The Two Came Back To Newport Together
The most glorious homecoming that The O.C. ever saw.
3. When Seth Said Goodbye To Ryan For The First Time And Brought It In For An Embrace
Ryan was so genuinely shocked by the affection, and Seth promised he'd visit Ryan in Chino. "You can show me your world or, you know, ''hood," he says, because Seth is adorable.
2. All Of The First Season Finale When Ryan Has To Go Back To Chino With Theresa, And Seth Tries To Sell His Boat To Help Him Out
And then when Seth runs away because he lost the only friend he ever had? Cue Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah." Cue tears forever.
1. When Seth Brings A Dying Ryan To The Hospital And They Truly Become Brothers
"We're blood brothers," explains the needle-squeamish Seth, who donated a few pints of blood to ensure Ryan would make it out OK. If that isn't bromantic, I don't know what is.
Images: Giphy (7)