14 'Game Of Thrones' Season 7 Quotes That Sound Like They're Actually About 2017 Politics
Game of Thrones may feature dragons, three-eyed ravens, and an army of the dead, but the bulk of what goes on in the series is political in nature. The battle among a handful of noble houses for control over the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros — the titular "game of thrones" — has far more to do with the show's popularity than its more fantastical elements. That may be because of the show's parallels to today, since many political Game of Thrones Season 7 quotes sound like they're actually about 2017 politics in the U.S.
Obviously, 2017 is a strange time for U.S. politics. Donald Trump, a former reality star and six-time bankrupt businessman, is currently the president, and it has been a wild ride to say the least. As president, Trump has waged war against the media and facts, he's currently under special counsel investigation for alleged obstruction of justice and collusion with Russia to win the 2016 election, and his supporters are constantly forced to defend him in light of new scandals he creates for himself (defending neo-Nazis, banning transgender people from serving in the military, hinting at dropping a nuclear bomb on North Korea, etc.). So take a look below at the following quotes from Game of Thrones Season 7 and just be thankful that we don't have to deal with white walkers in addition to Trump.
1. "Has it occurred to you she might not have been a reliable source of information?" - Jon Snow
Is Dany's barren womb fake news?
2. "They will come to see you for what you are." - Jon Snow
People have been saying this about Trump's supporters forever. Hopefully it eventually comes to pass.
3. "I’m tired of reading about the achievements of better men." - Samwell
Trump's unhealthy obsession with President Obama seems to be the sole motivator for most of his decisions.
4. "The Long Night is coming. Only the prince who was promised can bring the dawn." - Melisandre
Bernie Sanders felt just like Azor Ahai for a whole lot of people.
5. "If you ever betray me… I’ll burn you alive." - Daenerys
This is essentially Trump's philosophy, it seems, though the burning takes place on Twitter.
6. "I may be small. I may be a girl, but I won't be knitting by the fire while I have men fight for me." - Lyanna Mormont
Nevertheless, she persisted. Is that you, Elizabeth Warren?
7. "I will not punish sons and daughters for the crimes of their fathers." - Jon Snow
Hey Don Jr., any interest in working out an immunity deal in exchange for shedding more light on your old man's Russia dealings?
8. "If we don’t put aside our enmities and band together, we will die." - Davos
Congress needs to unite already and get these impeachment proceedings rolling before we're launched into a nuclear war.
9. "We need allies. Stronger, better allies. We can't win this war alone." - Jaime
Anybody want to talk Trump out of launching a nuclear strike on North Korea? China? Japan? Bueller?
10. "You remember the horrors he inflicted upon his people." - Cersei
They're hard to forget, since they're still going on.
11. "Are you trying to present your own statements as ancient wisdom?" - Daenerys
If Trump hasn't done this already, he will.
12. "To go through all of that and make your way home again only to find such chaos in the world again. I can't imagine." - Littlefinger
This is what I imagine goes through the head of anyone returning to the U.S. from a deployment overseas.
13. "When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow
Since virtually nothing the president says is true, the country has to get used to our new post-facts society.
14. "You stand accused of treason. How do you answer these charges?" - Sansa
Sansa and Arya pulled off an insanely thorough treason investigation of Littlefinger that would've made Robert Mueller proud.
Game of Thrones Season 7 has just been too real.