How To Make A Halloween Trick-Or-Treat Bag To Channel Your Inner Rihanna
If you're reading this, there's a pretty good chance you're obsessed with Halloween. You've probably recorded all the Halloween episodes of your favorite shows, planned out six different costumes, wondered how to make a Halloween trick-or-treat bag, and made a few pumpkin DIYs. Oh, and we can't forget about the party planning, spooky movies, and fall-flavored recipes. Basically, if you're anything like me, you're swooning over all of the above.
And since I'm a huge supporter of puns during any time of the year, I couldn't help but share my own take on a Halloween-themed pun. This one features a special take on iconic lyrics by Miss Rihanna. I mean, candy + RiRi + Halloween + crafts? Oh yeah. It just had to happen.
This is an excellent idea for those of you who will be making rounds around the neighborhood with younger siblings, relatives, or children. Unless you're an actual adult who just loves to go trick-or-treating... no judgement here, I swear. If anything, this DIY trick-or-treat bag will set the tone for your new anthem of the night. You'll also be the coolest kid in town with this handmade number. As for me? I'll cross my fingers that the witch really does have your candy.
- Plain tote bag
- Hot glue gun
- Large black card stock paper or foam
- Craft glue
- Letter stickers
To buy a tote bag on the cheap, head to the dollar store. Your best bet is to use a bag made of fairly thin material with little to no graphics.
You can either use black card stock or foam for this project. Either one works great. The most important part is that it is stiff and can hold its shape. Your witch hat has to be ready to take the Halloween ruckus, after all.
1. Push one side of the tote bag inward. This can be easily done by meeting the top corner to the bottom of the closest strap.
Essentially, you are creating a fold into the bag.
2. Adjust the fold so that it is slanted.
3. Repeat steps one and two on the other side. You should be left with a trapezoid-shaped tote bag (third grade geometry, anyone?).
4. Hot glue the folds in place. Don't go overboard with the glue; add just enough to hold everything together.
5. Cut out a trapezoid shape from the black card stock.
Make sure the shape fits comfortably on the bag.
6. Cut out a long rectangle from the black card stock. Snip away both corners.
This shape will be the brim of the witch's hat.
7. Hot glue both pieces to the bag.
8. Here's where the magic happens. Using the letter stickers, spell out "witch betta have my candy" while blasting some tunes by our girl, Rihanna.
Try this following tip to perfectly center the words. Take a ruler, and place it across the hat. Find the middle point. Stick on the middle letter of the first word. In this case, it was the letter "T" in "witch." This way, you can work outward from there, and add additional letters accordingly.
The punniness kills me. Happy trick-or-treating!
Images: Kirsten Nunez