14 'Friends' Quotes That Are So Outdated It Hurts
In some ways, Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler, and Ross will always be timeless. Since 1994, they've been a constant feature on the television landscape, even after the show's run came to an end in 2004. No matter how much you love those six New York pals, you have to admit Friends is super dated in places. And this becomes especially glaring in the dialogue. There are some Friends quotes that are so outdated they will hurt your soul. Or at the very least remind you of how old you are now, and that no matter how much you love the '90s, the decade is never coming back (and in certain cases that's a good thing).
From references to bygone technology that used to be cutting edge, to the show's casual homophobia, Friends has its share of moments that land with a thud in 2017. The same can be said for any show made in a different era — the world is always changing — but because Friends is an ever-present fixture thanks to endless reruns and Netflix, its cringe-inducing moments are all the more noticeable.
These Friends quotes are a reminder that Monica and the rest of the gang are truly from another era. While that doesn't mean you have to love them any less, it does mean you should remember that all of their actions are viewed through '90s-colored glasses.
1. "Hey, Ross, I got a science question: If the homo sapiens were, in fact, HOMO sapiens…is that why they’re extinct?" — Joey
It's bad enough that Joey gets stuck with the dumb jokes, adding in a splash of homophobia doesn't help.
2. "I grew up in a house with Monica, okay. If you didn’t eat fast, you didn’t eat." — Ross
Fat-shaming is so not OK, and it sucks that it took TV so long to figure that out (although some shows are still behind times on this point, to be fair).
3. "I got her machine." — Chandler
Still a funny joke, but one that surely makes audience members born in the age of cell phones as confused as Joey is about what kind of machine Chandler is talking about.
4. "That's funny, 'cause I was thinking you look more like Joey Tribbiani, man slash woman."— Chandler
Chandler's deeply unfunny response to Joey wearing makeup for work is offensive on a number of levels.
5. "Honey, could I recommend watching a little bit more 'ESPN' and a little less 'E.'?" — Rachel
Chandler gets excited about clothes, so Rachel decides to equate masculinity with watching sports. That's so not OK, Rach.
6. " Tell you what, maybe one of these weekends you can borrow the car and I could..." — Jack
This context of this quote is what makes it so terrible. Monica's dad is equating Richard's relationship with a younger woman (who he doesn't know is Monica) with him purchasing a mid-life crisis car. Then he offers to swap the car for a weekend for the woman, displaying some truly horrifying casual sexism in the process.
7. "And look. A phone in the bathroom." — Joey
More phone humor that seems super outdated today. A phone in the bathroom? How novel.
8. "Oh, y'know what you should get 'em? One of those little uh, portable CD players." — Rachel
The perfect gift... circa 1998.
9. "Ew, ew, ew, ew ew ew ew ew. Ugly Naked Guy got a Thighmaster." — Chandler
Again, fat-shaming is so last century. But also, precious few people still know what a Thighmaster is.
10. "Now, are you his Mother or his Father? What? I've never seen one before! I never even got a chance to pretend I'm okay with it..." — Jack
Transphobic humor from Ross and Monica's dad that would definitely lead to some well-deserved internet outrage in 2017.
11. "Yes, that was the Evander Holyfield period. You know, you were so hard up, you even came on to me." — Monica
Sorry, Evander Holyfield, but your name would so be replaced by Usian Bolt's or Mark Sanchez's now.
12. "Sting's pen... that he gave to Phoebe." — Phoebe
Phoebe's Sting obsession is still funny, but the singer isn't quite as enduring as the show thought he would be (at least not with the next generation).
13. "Quick! How do you get a chick out of a VCR!?" — Chandler
Baby chicks no longer have to live in fear of VCRs.
14. "'Cause she doesn't hate Yanni' is not a real reason." — Ross
Ah, the early '90s, when New Age music was having a moment. They truly were simpler times.
Friends will never stop being an amazing show, but these quotes prove time catches up with everyone eventually, even Central Perk's best customers.