15 Books To Read Before Bed, Because There's No Better Way To Relax And Unwind
It's been proven that reading can improve your health in different ways. Studies show that it reduces stress, improves memory, and increases empathy. Basically, reading makes you a better person — and it also helps you sleep.
The only downside to this is if you have a preference for books that aren’t exactly relaxing. Personally, I love thrillers — but if I read them before bed I will probably stay up all night reading, because I am desperate to find out what happens in the end, and be too on edge to sleep after finishing the book.
There are other books out there that make better choices for before-bed reading. If you have trouble falling asleep, reading can help you relax — but you are probably looking for a particular type of book. You don’t want something that will make your heart beat faster, or something so gripping that you pull an all-nighter just to get to the end (as we’ve all been guilty of doing). You need a book that’s as calm as a cup of tea and a warm bath. Here are some books to add to your before-bed TBR pile, that will help you relax before you drift off to sleep.
1. 'The Little Prince' By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
2. 'Attachments' By Rainbow Rowell
3. 'Wonder' By R.J. Palacio
4. 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' By Garth Stein
5. 'Anne Of Green Gables' By L.M. Montgomery
6. 'Persuasion' By Jane Austen
7. 'Orlando' By Virginia Woolf
8. 'Notes From A Small Island' By Bill Bryson
9. 'Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk' by Kathleen Rooney
10. 'The Young Widower's Handbook' By Tom McAllister
Hunter's wife Kait dies suddenly, leaving him grief-stricken. They had always wanted to travel, so he takes her ashes with him on a road trip out west. What ensues is a touching and funny adventure that will relax you before you drift off into dreams.
11. 'Flâneuse' By Lauren Elkin
12. 'The Red Car' By Marcy Dermansky
13. 'Pond' By Claire-Louise Bennett
In this contemplative stream-of-consciousness collection, a young woman leads a solitary life in an Irish coastal village. It's not plot-heavy, so if you're easily exhausted by lots of action scenes before bed, this book is a good choice. It's reminiscent of Virginia Woolf, and will relax you with interesting and thoughtful musings.
14. 'Swing Time' By Zadie Smith
15. 'The Wangs Vs. The World' By Jade Chang
Charles Wang, an immigrant businessman, goes on a cross-country road trip with his family: aspiring comedian son Andrew, fashion blogger Grace, and the children's stepmother Barbra. They drive from California to New York to reunite with the eldest child, Saina. Charming, light, and funny, this is the perfect story to read before you hit the pillow and catch some z's.