Though many people roll their eyes at the mushiness Valentine's Day can often conjure up from people, there are a lot of genuinely funny, non-cheesy ways to celebrate the holiday. While heartfelt, deep proclamations are great for some people — and usually the norm when someone is posting a caption on social media about their significant other — avoiding those doesn't mean your love is any less real or important. Using a funny Valentine's Day quote instead of a sappy one is just as meaningful, and it might get a chuckle out of your S.O.
Ask almost anyone, and "someone who makes me laugh" is probably high on their list when it comes to the best traits in a partner. Feeling comfortable being yourself and joking around is so critical in a relationship. While there are times to be serious, keeping that playful spirit alive goes a long way towards maintaining a healthy, low-stress relationship.
Looking for a way to tell your partner what they mean to you without getting too serious? Read on for the funniest Valentine's Day quotes sure to let your know partner exactly how you feel, while also giving them a nice laugh.
1. "I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner
2. "Love is what you’ve been through with somebody." - James Thurber
3. "We are all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness—and call it love. True love." - Robert Fulghum
4. "I love you no matter what you do, but do you have to do so much of it?" - Jean Illsley Clarke
5. "Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties." - Jules Renard
6. "You could empty the trash and my love for you still wouldn’t fit inside. But just because it won’t fit, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t empty the trash." - Jarod Kintz
7. "Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species." - W. Somerset Maugham
8. "Honesty is the key to a relationship. If you can fake that, you’re in." - Richard Jeni
9. "Love means nothing in tennis, but it’s everything in life." - Unknown
10. "Love is being stupid together." - Paul Valery
11. "I love you and it’s getting worse." - Joseph E. Morris
12. "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." - Oscar Wilde
13. "Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There’s too much fraternizing with the enemy." – Henry Kissinger
14. "What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork." - Pearl Bailey
15. "Love is a grave mental illness." - Plato
16. "Love is a lot like a backache: it doesn't show up on X-rays, but you know it's there." - George Burns
17. "It wasn’t love at first sight. It took a full five minutes." - Lucille Ball
18. "Love is sharing your popcorn." - Charles Schultz
19. "Without Valentine’s Day, February would be…well, January." - Jim Gaffigan
20. "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt." -Charles M. Schulz
21. "To be in love is merely to be in a state of perceptual anesthesia." - H.L. Mencken
Your love is a special, unique love and deserves to be treated as such. Tell your partner how you feel about them in a way that reflects your relationship. Everyone's got a place on Valentine's Day.