52 Pop Culture Things We Need To Quit In 2017
With every new year, there come new things that go viral, catch flame, and become ubiquitous. By the time we get to the end of the year, it's hard to imagine a time when those things weren't in our lives. But I think pop culture should ditch these things in 2017, because they have long overstayed their welcome. Listen, I love Hamilton references as much as the next person, but enough is too much. And how are we not tired of hating on the Kardashian family by now? It's time for pop culture to get some new trends, inside jokes, and viral memes for the upcoming year, before it's too late. I declare all of the following to be dated.
Sure, you can claim that I'm no judge of taste, but you'd be wrong. First of all, I am nothing if not a judge of taste, thank you very much. Second of all, I enlisted the help of Bustle Entertainment editors Samantha Rullo, Martha Sorren, Rachel Simon, Lia Beck, Kelsea Stahler, and Jamie Primeau in order to make this list of pop culture things that need to be retired. I'm sure that, once you read the items below, you'll agree that enough is too much. If you don't, well. Maybe you're dated, too. (I'm just kidding. Or am I?)
1. The "Strong Woman" Trope
Come on, guys, this has lost any meaning it might have once had. Women can do more and be more.
2. Scott Baio
That Trump endorsement, though.
3. The Racism & Sexism Meghan Markle Suffered For The Crime Of Dating Prince Harry
I think this one speaks for itself, but let me also take a moment to quote the royal: "This is not a game — it is her life and his."
4. All Traces Of Hiddleswift
I'm willing to forget about Tom Hiddleston and Taylor Swift's relationship even faster than they did if you're willing, too.
5. Twitter Harassment Of Leslie Jones
I'm so sorry one of the greatest comedians of our age is a little too black for you, Twitter trolls. Oh, wait, no I'm not. Get bent, and get out.
6. Rory's Journalism Career On 'Gilmore Girls'
And yet still not the biggest problem we had with Rory's actions in the revival...
7. Not Knowing Who Uber A Is On 'Pretty Little Liars'
The time for mysteries is over. The time for answers is now.
8. All-Male Or Predominantly Male Superhero Movies
Did you know Black Widow doesn't have a movie yet? Yeah, me too.
9. Jared Leto As The Joker
10. The Ending Of 'The Good Wife'
Let's slap this out of our minds in 2017, thank you.
11. "Love Is Dead"
Let's face it: celebrity couples are going to break up. It's what they do. We don't need to scream that love is dead every time.
12. Reacting To Things, Or Politics, By Quoting 'Hamilton'
I know we all wish we were in the room where it happened, but can we get 50 percent less Hamilton puns? Please?
13. White Feminism
I'm glad that more and more people are beginning to realize that white feminism is a problem. Let's spend 2017 doing something about it.
Where they once stood for the strength and empowerment of women, and female friendships, they are now overused and overdone as a phrase.
15. The Calvin Harris & Taylor Swift Feud
That he said, she said got really old, really fast. Let's just enjoy the music.
16. Celebrity Emoji Packs
I drew the line at Justmoji.
7. Reality Show Spinoffs That Follow One Barely Popular Couple
You know who I'm talking about. (Cough, Ben and Lauren.)
18. The Evil Kermit The Frog Meme
We all have a Dark Side telling us to have one more cookie. I get it.
19. Fifth Harmony's Band Breakup Drama
It only took me a day to get over this. Can't we all just get along?
20. Making Fun Of The Kardashians In General
Even if you don't respect their beginnings, you have to respect them as entrepreneurs and reality TV stars. These women know how to make bank. Let's start giving them props instead of tearing them down.
21. The Mannequin Challenge
I think we've all sufficiently learned that we can keep very, very still for the length of a Vine video. Moving on.
22. The Song From The Mannequin Challenge
I know "Black Beatles" is a real crowd pleaser. Let's please ourselves with something else next year.
23. Dissing Taylor Swift For Who She's Dating
I can't believe it's 2016, and we haven't gotten over this yet. Let's aim to go high in 2017, guys.
24. Saying Movies & TV Shows Are "Ruining Your Childhood"
Spoiler alert: an all-female Ghostbusters and Amy Schumer's Barbie movie aren't ruining anything. Except maybe your bank balance.
25. Tila Tequila Declaring Herself The "Alt-Right Queen"
26. Being Sad About The Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Split
They're dealing with it, and so should we.
27. Kanye West & Taylor Swift's "Famous" Feud
I know they made this feud famous, but I think we can remove this narrative now.
28. Drake & Rihanna Dating Rumors
Are they together? Are they not? New question: who cares? Let them be.
29. Making Fun Of Lindsay Lohan's New Accent
I mean, I still don't understand it. But I think we're over it.
30. Chad From 'The Bachelorette'
Nothing against him as a person, really, but I think I've seen enough of him for a bit.
31. 'American Idol'
It's over, but are we over it?
32. Bashing Celebrity Selfies
Fun fact: Celebrities like to take selfies. Some of them might be risqué. So?
33. Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Reunion Rumors
This relationship practically has a zombie-like nature to it, since, every time we think it's dead, someone brings it back. Let's not bring it back.
34. Criticizing Famous Women For Deciding Not To Have Children
Or any women for that matter. But when rumors and body shaming push celebrities like Jennifer Aniston to write a whole op-ed about it, I think it's gone beyond too far.
35. Outrageously Inappropriate Celebrity Halloween Costumes
Do I even need to bring up the Kim Kardashian robbery costume?
36. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Divorce Rumors
Let's not talk about it until and unless it actually happens.
37. Twitter Trolls Who Attack Famous Women
Everyone who pushed Chrissy Teigen into making her tweets private needs to take several seats. And don't even get me started on those who attacked the flawless Leslie Jones.
38. Our Favorite Housewives Leaving 'Real Housewives'
39. 'Big Brother's Online Spinoff Show
Big Brother is meant for summertime TV only.
40. Designers Refusing To Dress A Wide Range Of Body Types On The Red Carpet
When Tim Gunn disapproves, you need to rethink all the life choices that led you to that point.
41. The Gender Wage Gap In Hollywood
I mean, we need to get rid of this all throughout society. But, come on, how are female actresses not being paid the same as the males in the same movie?
42. Some Of The Country Music Award Shows
Not even all of them. Just some of them. There are so many.
43. The Phrase "Post-Baby Body"
Ideally, I'd like us to stop talking about women's bodies in general, but "post-baby body" is often used in such a shame-y way.
44. Donald Trump's Twitter Account
In the immortal words of Hillary Clinton, delete your account.
45. Singing Competitions
If it's not American Idol, do we really care?
46. Award Shows Being Non-Inclusive
The BAFTAs will be refusing to nominate any film that doesn't exhibit diversity come 2019. The ball's in your court, America.
47. Late Night Hosts Playing Nice With Dangerous Politicians
48. Making Every 'Saturday Night Live' Opening Monologue A Song
Can we get a little more creative? Please? I mean, unless you're Lin-Manuel Miranda. Then you can do whatever you want.
49. Making Fun Of Kim Kardashian's Trauma
When Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in Paris, people not only joked about it but said that she deserved it for flaunting her wealth. Can we stop making jokes when bad things happen to other people?
50. Drake's Injured Ankle Causing Him To Cancel Concerts
I'm not saying Drake can't cancel concerts if he's not at peak health. I'm saying that Drake's body needs to stop harming him so he doesn't need to cancel concerts.
51. Danny Castellano's Sexism On 'The Mindy Project'
He's really not that great of a boyfriend.
52. Going A Whole Year Without A Taylor Swift Album
There are only so many times I can listen to "Shake It Off."
So, like I said, all of these things are pretty overdone by this point, and especially oversaturated in 2016. Let's look ahead to a brighter future in 2017, when these things are no longer literally everywhere, shall we?