13 'The Force Awakens' Quotes That Hint At The Future Of Star Wars
While Star Wars fans were recently treated to the excellent next entry of their beloved franchise with The Force Awakens, they now face the terrifying prospect of going another year-and-a-half before the story continues in Star Wars: Episode VIII . After all, The Force Awakens left a lot of questions unanswered, and these mysteries will likely be all that fans are able to think about until they get some closure on May 26, 2017. But thankfully, the film also left behind some clues as to what will happen in the form of several quotes in The Force Awakens, making the long wait a little bit easier to endure.
The biggest mysteries to come out of The Force Awakens, without question, were: "Who are Rey's parents?" and "Is Kylo Ren really evil?" The answer to both of these are hinted at multiple times in The Force Awakens, as well as smaller issues like what will happen to Finn, what certain characters' romantic connections might be, and even which classic character from the original trilogy might return. So take a look at these 13 quotes from The Force Awakens, and decide if they really do hint at what's coming in Episode VIII .
1. "That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him, and now it calls to you." - Maz Kanata
Maz seems to know a lot more about Rey's own past than she does, and during their time together she heavily hints that Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter.
2. "I know all about waiting. For my family. They'll be back, one day." - Rey
If this isn't foreshadowing that Rey's parents (cough, Luke, cough) will show up in a future movie, then I don't know what is.
3. "I am no Jedi, but I know the Force. It moves through and surrounds every living thing. Close your eyes... feel it... the light... it’s always been there... it will guide you. The saber, take it." - Maz Kanata
Maz again throwing some truth at Rey. This time it seems to be more about Rey's past use of the Force... leading many fans to believe that she is a trained Force user and just can't remember her schooling.
4. "You still want to kill me?" - Kylo Ren
Kylo says this to Rey, and it will likely come into play in a later film when the two undoubtedly find out they're connected. Are they cousins? Was Kylo Ren her trainer before he went bad? At least one of those things is probably true.
5. "You need a teacher! I can show you the ways of the Force!" - Kylo Ren
Again, is Kylo talking to Rey about the future here... or the past?
6. "I felt it again. The pull to the light." - Kylo Ren
Kylo struggles with not being a good guy constantly, and many fans think he could turn hero in the end a la his hero Darth Vader.
7. "You may try, but you cannot deny the truth that is your family." - Lor San Tekka
The all-too-short-lived Lor San Tekka says this to Kylo, again implying that Ben Solo's bad guy act won't last forever.
8. "You're afraid that you will never be as strong as Darth Vader." - Rey
Another Kylo/Vader parallel, suggesting that Kylo follows in his granddad's footsteps and turns to the light. The quote could also be setting up an appearance by Vader's ghost in a later film.
9. "Show me again, the power of the darkness... and I will let nothing stand in our way. Show me, Grandfather, and I will finish what you started." - Kylo Ren
Seriously, does Kylo even know that Vader turned good before he died? Kylo will see Vader and be inspired to turn to the Light Side of the Force, confirmed.
10. "Women always find out the truth. Always." - Han Solo
Han says this to Finn about Rey, and while he was referring to Finn's tall tale about being a Resistance fighter, he might as well have been talking about the former Stormtrooper's crush on the future Jedi. Seriously, she's going to find out.
11. "Stop taking my hand!" - Rey
Rey's initial coldness to Finn is pretty similar to Leia's first impression of Han, and we all know how that turned out. And for all of you #FinnPoe shippers out there, you're dreaming if you think Disney is progressive enough to put a homosexual relationship in a Star Wars movie. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll have to get by on Tumblr memes and fanfic because #ReyFinn is the much more likely scenario.
12. "We'll figure it out. We'll use the Force." - Finn
Is Finn also Force-sensitive? He's pretty good with a lightsaber, so it wouldn't be all that surprising if he ended up being a Jedi as well.
13. "I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people. I see your eyes, I know your eyes!" - Maz Kanata
Maz says this to Finn, and since she seems to know an awful lot, this would indicate that there's a lot more to Finn than just him being a Stormtrooper deserter. Read: Jedi.
So there you have it. Fans will surely learn in the next Star Wars movies that Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter and was trained to be a Jedi by Kylo Ren before having her memory wiped. She'll then learn that Finn has a crush on her and the two will become an item, but only after she learns that Finn also has a secret Jedi past. Then Darth Vader's ghost will show up and tell Kylo to stop being such a jerk, and Kylo, Rey, and Finn will all live happily ever after. The end!