From the moment Adele revealed the first new lyrics off her upcoming album, 30, fans knew it was going to be an emotional ride. That proved to be 100% true during her Nov. 14 CBS TV special, Adele One Night Only, which included performances of new songs that fans had never heard before. The British singer-songwriter’s concert packed a poignant punch, and the new lyrics she unveiled were as gut-wrenching and powerful as always. The best ones inspired tears of sadness, joy, and everything in between — all propelled by Adele’s phenomenal vocals.
The 15-time Grammy winner started the show with an older favorite, “Hello,” but then she moved on to her upcoming album’s first single, “Easy on Me.” She continued to mix old hits with new material, ultimately performing three never-before-heard songs: “I Drink Wine,” “Hold On,” and “Love Is a Game.” While Adele had warned that 30 would tackle difficult topics such as her divorce from Simon Konecki, it was still impossible to be fully prepared and fans were getting deep in their feelings throughout the night. When all was said and sung, they were simply grateful to finally have Adele back with new music. It’s been far too long since 2015’s 25.
Below, read Adele’s best new lyrics from her One Night Only performances.
“Easy On Me” Lyrics
- “I know there is hope in these waters / But I can’t bring myself to swim / When I am drowning in this silence / Baby let me in”
- “I was still a child / Didn’t get the chance to / Feel the world around me”
- “There ain’t no room for things to change / When we are both so deeply stuck in our ways / You can’t deny how hard I have tried / I changed who I was to put you both first / But now I give up”
“I Drink Wine” Lyrics
- “We’re in love with the world but the world just wants to bring us down / By puttin’ ideals in our heads to corrupt our hearts somehow”
- “When I was a child every single thing could blow my mind / Soaking it all up for fun but now I only soak up wine”
- “They say to play hard, you work hard, find balance in the sacrifice / And yet I don’t know anybody who’s truly satisfied”
- “Why am I seeking approval from people I don’t even know? / In these crazy times, I hope to find something to cling onto / ’Cause I need some substance in my life / Something real, something that feels true”
- “You better believe for you I’ve cried (I’ve cried) / High tides (high tides, high tides) / Want you so bad, but you can’t fight fire with fire”
- “I hope I learn to get over myself / Stop trying to be somebody else / Oh, I just want to love you, love you for free / ’Cause everybody wants something from me, you just want me”
“Hold On” Lyrics
- “It’s hard to hold onto who I am / When I’m stumbling in the dark for a hand / I’m so tired of battling with myself, with no chance to win”
- “Every day feels like the road I’m on / Might just open up and swallow me whole / How do I feel so mighty small / When I’m struggling to feel at all?”
- “Sometimes loneliness is the only rest we get (Just hold on, just hold on) / And the emptiness actually lets us forget (Just hold on, just hold on) / Sometimes forgiveness is easiest in secret (Just hold on, just hold on, just hold on”
- “Hold on, hold on, hold on / Just let time be patient / ’Cause you’re still strong, I’m still strong (You are still strong) / Just be gracious / ’Cause love will soon come”
“Love Is A Game” Lyrics
- “My heart speaks in puzzles and codes / I’ve been trying my whole life to solve”
- “God only knows how I’ve cried / I can’t take another defeat / A next time will be the ending of me”
- “Love (Ooh-ooh) is a game (Ooh-ooh) for fools to play (Ooh, ooh, ooh) / And I ain’t fooling (Fooling) / What a cruel thing (Cruel thing) / To self-inflict that pain”
- “How unbelievable / Of me to fall for the lies that I tell (Lies I tell) / The dreams that I sell? (Dreams I sell) / When heartache, it’s inevitable (It’s inevitable) / But I’m no good at doing it well”
- “I’d do it all again / like I did it / ’Cause I’m addicted, I’m addicted / You know I’m going to do it again”
READ NEXT: What Adele Told Oprah About Her Weight Loss
30 debuts on Nov. 19.