15 Donald Trump Quotes That Make Him Sound Exactly Like A Harry Potter Villain
Mussolini, Hitler, Voldemort — the list of bad guys, both real and fictional, the 45th president of the United States has been compared grows with every outrageous executive action he takes and outlandish things he says (and tweets). From his most notorious comments about women to his most recent remarks about race, these Donald Trump quotes that sound Harry Potter villain soundbites will make you question what kind of alternate universe you're living in.
It was back in 2015 when Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling first drew the comparison between then-candidate Trump and her own book's villain. "How horrible," she tweeted with a link to an article about Trump's proposed travel ban, "Voldemort was nowhere near as bad." Since then, many have continued to point out the many ways in which the real-life Donald Trump and book villain Lord Voldemort are the same, from their fear mongering to their racially-based policies. But the truth is, President Trump isn't just like the Dark Lord — he's like every Harry Potter baddie, rolled into one walking, tweeting, presidential nightmare.
And he won't just last seven books — he's going to be around for the next four years. But so will you, because like Harry, Hermione, and Ron, you aren't afraid to face anyone.
To help remind you that even the biggest bad guys (and girls) can be defeated, here are 15 Donald Trump quotes that sound like Harry Potter villains. Use these quotes — and the lessons of Dumbledore's Army — to fight back:
1. "Torture works. Believe me, it works."
When he explained his views on torture at an event in South Carolina last February, Donald Trump sounded exactly like two of Harry Potter's most evil villains: capital punishment supporter Dolores Umbridge and the number one bad guy himself, Lord Voldemort.
2. “He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured, OK?”
Although this is a Trump quote about war hero Sen. John McCain, it could easily be something Voldemort has to say about another hero: Harry Potter.
3. "When you're a star, they let you do it."
When Donald Trump was heard bragging about his ability to sexually assault women without consequences on a leaked Access Hollywood tape, you could almost imagine Lucius Malfoy saying the same thing, only in with "pure blood" in place of "star." Creepy, right?
4. “I would bring back waterboarding. And I’d bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding.”
If you thought Umbridge's plans to reinstate capital punishment at Hogwarts was a bad idea, wait until you hear Trump talk torture tactics.
5. “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.”
Oh, hey Voldemort, is that you at a Death Eaters convention? No, just Trump violently bragging at one of his Iowa rallies during his 2016 campaign.
6. "The real scandal here is that classified information is illegally given our by 'intelligence' like candy. Very un-American!"
This tweet about leaks within the U.S. government sounds like a quote straight out of Fudge's Ministry of Magic when it was trying to pretend You-Know-Who hadn't returned. We all remember how that worked out.
7. “Don’t believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment. The number’s probably 28, 29, as high as 35. In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent.”
Like Cornelius Fudge before him, Trump repeats false claims in hoping they can be accepted as fact.
8. “Do I look a president? How handsome am I, right? How handsome?”
Donald Trump talks to his supporters the way Gilderoy Lockhart talked to his adoring fans. Now, if only the president could lose his memory and his job, too...
9. “I will give you everything. … I’m the only one.”
Okay, and maybe other times when Trump addresses his fans, he sounds EXACTLY LIKE VOLDEMORT TOO.
10. " [...] They're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."
Whenever Donald Trump shares his racist views on immigrants, you can pretty much imagine it's any Death Eater talking about mudbloods — only much, much worse.
11. “I think profiling is something that we’re going to have to start thinking about as a country.
Let's just say that Trump's plan for racial profiling sounds like something a Death Eater-run Hogwarts could only dream of.
12. “I feel like a supermodel except, like, times 10, OK? It’s true. I’m a supermodel.”
Lockhart, is that you? No, just Donald Trump talking at a rally in Arizona like he had Gilderoy's luscious blonde locks.
13. "I think putting a wife to work is a very dangerous thing."
Do you think Lucius Malfoy feels the same way as Donald Trump in this 1994 interview? Because I do.
14. “I will say that people who are following me are very passionate.”
After his supporters beat up a Latino man, Trump defended them Voldemort style by calling them "passionate." Yeah, and the same thing can be said about Death Eaters I suppose?
15. “Such a nasty woman.”
His now famously reclaimed quote from the third debate, Trump's "nasty woman" quote sound exactly like something Lucius Malfoy would sneer towards Molly Weasley, Minerva McGonagall, or any of the other powerful female Harry Potter characters.