Jennifer Lopez has been a style star for decades. But beyond just being stylish, J.Lo’s outfit choices always proved how body positive she was and continues to be. Since her infamous Versace dress at the 2000 Grammys, Lopez has been reminding the world how confident she is about herself and her body, and it only seems to get stronger with age. J.Lo has rocked some head-turning outfits over the years, many of which you've probably forgotten. Let's take a trip down memory lane, because you're going to want to refresh your memory for these.
J. Lo's signature style is often form-fitting, and in recent years, she's chosen to stick to a fairly neutral color palette. However, that wasn't always the case. In 2014, Lopez went through a very serious cut-out phase, which coincidentally is back in style today. She’s also a purveyor of the naked dress trend, famously wearing sheer, netted, and nude gowns that leave little to the imagination.
But Lopez’s most enduring fashion moment is probably her Versace dress for the 2000 Grammy Awards. The sheer, printed, gown with a thigh-high slit and plunging neckline was so impactful that it inspired the creation of Google Image search, as thousands of fans the world over took to the internet for a glimpse of the dress. Since that watershed moment, JLo wore a version of the dress on the Versace runway in September 2019, and rocked the gown again for an appearance on Saturday Night Live that December.
But Jennifer Lopez’s Versace gown is only one of the many memorable fashion moments she’s had over the years. Scroll down for 30 more iconic Jennifer Lopez outfits.
1. Jennifer Lopez’s Grammy Awards Dress, 2000
The dress that launched a thousand Google searches, literally. JLo’s Versace dress has since been reprised on the runway and on television — and it will live in hearts and on mood boards forever.
2. Jennifer Lopez’s Met Gala Gown, 2010
Her Zuhair Murad featured an A-line skirt, a strapless neckline, and allover silver embellishment.
3. Jennifer Lopez’s MTV VMAs Look, 1999
With metallic and embellished tops picking up speed in the late ‘90s and early 2000s, J.Lo was on trend in a top that essentially looked like jewelry.
4. Jennifer Lopez’s 1999 VH1 Vogue Fashion Awards Top
She ushered in the metallic top trend of the 2000s with a silver halter that glowed like a disco ball.
5. Jennifer Lopez’s Billboard Music Awards Dress, 2014
A riff on her famous Versace gown, J.Lo chose this red sheer Donna Karan cape — with a one piece underneath — for a red carpet appearance in 2014.
6. Jennifer Lopez’s LACMA Art + Film Gala Dress, 2014
Ever the sparkle lover, JLo chose all over sequins in her go-to silhouette: fitted with a train and plunging neckline.
7. Jennifer Lopez’s People Magazine Awards Jumpsuit, 2014
She also doesn’t shy away from jumpsuits choosing a nude fitted and plunging number with a slight iridescent sheen for the People Magazine Awards.
8. Jennifer Lopez’s VMAs Outfit, 2000
In one of their most unforgettable looks, JLo and Diddy matched in all white: her in a blinged-out bandana and crop top from his fashion label Sean John, and him in a standard white shirt and jeans look with a blinding Jesus piece necklace.
9. Jennifer Lopez’s Vanity Fair Oscar Party Dress, 2015
Lopez evokes classic old school glamour in this beaded dress and fur stole. Inspired by the 1920s, her show-stopping look could still work for the red carpet today.
10. Jennifer Lopez’s Academy Awards Dress, 2006
J. Lo went vintage for the 2006 Oscars in a ruched dress with a corseted top and pleated skirt cascading around the waist.
11. Jennifer Lopez’s Grammy Awards Dress, 2011
J. Lo's mirrored Pucci dress was a hit at the 2011 Grammys, with a short hem and platform peep toe sandals that complemented her mile-long legs.
12. Jennifer Lopez’s Academy Awards Gown, 2015
She looked ethereal in a blush Elie Saab Haute Couture ball gown embellished with stones, sequins, and pearls.
13. Jennifer Lopez’s The Thomas Crown Affair Premiere Dress, 1999
Lopez could easily wear this ‘90s-inspired beaded slip dress on a red carpet today and totally be on trend. She completed her look with other trends of the decade: strappy sandals and a Hobo-inspired handbag.
14. Jennifer Lopez’s Virgin Mega Store Appearance, 2001
The floppy hat and oversize sunglasses look was emblematic of the 2000s, and no one wore these accessories quite like JLo.
15. Jennifer Lopez’s Gigli Premiere Gown, 2003
Her plunging halter neckline gave way to a sweeping skirt, the perfect complement to Ben Affleck’s sharp, structured suiting.
16. Jennifer Lopez’s Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards Look, 2004
From the knit hat to the cargo capri pants to the sequin cardigan, this outfit took every ‘ugly’ 2000s trend and made it look cool.
17. Jennifer Lopez’s Oscars Gown, 2002
She was a modern day bombshell at the 2002 Oscars in a Versace corseted trumpet hem dress and big hair that felt decidedly ‘60s.
18. Jennifer Lopez’s Vanity Fair Oscar Party Gown, 2019
Her fan-inspired gown channeled the ‘70s disco era with its iridescent sheen and all over sequin embellishment.
19. Jennifer Lopez’s Billboard Music Awards Look, 2018
Both real and faux exotics make up this memorable monochromatic J. Lo look.
20. Jennifer Lopez’s Film Independent Spirit Awards Outfit, 2020
Going bold with sparkle on top and color on the bottom, JLo expertly mixed metallic and bright color for the Film Independent Spirit Awards in 2020.
21. Jennifer Lopez’s Toronto International Film Festival Dress, 2019
Looking like an actual ray of light, JLo chose a yellow ruffled gown with exaggerated sleeves and a front slit at the Hustlers premiere.
22. Jennifer Lopez’s Annual Governors Awards, 2019
Simple this Lanvin gown might seem, it was a true party in the back with a bow that demanded a second look whenever JLo turned around.
23. Jennifer Lopez’s Golden Globes Gown, 1998
Looking peak ‘90s in a color block dress with an asymmetric side cut-out, JLo made a lasting impression on the Golden Globes red carpet in 1998.
24. Jennifer Lopez’s Academy Awards Dress, 2019
At the Oscars, J.Lo could be the actual award itself in this sleek mirrored gown with long sleeves and a turtleneck.
25. Jennifer Lopez’s Screen Actors Guild Awards Gown, 2020
With a nod to Old Hollywood glamour, J. Lo chose a sleek black velvet off-the-shoulder gown with a cape-like train for the Screen Actors Guild Awards in 2020.
26. Jennifer Lopez’s Critics' Choice Awards Dress, 2020
Still making a bold statement, J. Lo chose a neutral off-white gown that was sleek and understated, designed with a crystal waist and neckline that matched her jewels.
27. Jennifer Lopez’s Met Gala Dress, 2019
Getting into the “camp” theme of the evening, Lopez opted for a fully beaded flapper-style dress, complete with a matching wig.
28. Jennifer Lopez’s New York City Street Style Look, 2019
Spotted doing press in New York City in 2019, Lopez proved that no one wears a red dress quite like she.
29. Jennifer Lopez’s Second Act Premiere Dress, 2018
Lopez chose her most voluminous gown yet for the “Second Act” premiere, barely fitting into her car with a giant pink tulle confection.
30. Jennifer Lopez’s Met Gala Dress, 2018
In celebration of the “heavenly bodies” theme of the exhibit, Lopez chose a feathered and embellished cross gown with a cutout chest line.
This article was originally published on